Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Circuit breaker?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Circuit breaker?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsetterwall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Circuit breaker? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am the proud owner of a 1952 M38 bought in Crete, Greece last year.
Itīs a good rebuild by the former owner, but Iīm having problems with the gauges. The ammeter and the oil pressure were functioning when I bought it, but ceased operation after that. The fuel and the temperature never worked. I tried to change gauges, and I have ordered a new oil pressure sender and the temperature sender, but I am wondering if one of the circuit breakers could "shut" all the gauges down?
As I am living in Sweden itīs a small challenge to aquire parts (and it takes time...)
Thankful for your expertise!
Tom
Very Happy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, Welcome aboard.

The M38 instrument system is a robust yet sensitive system.

There are several important basic requirements that must be met when dealing with them.

1 - Grounding. These M38's were originally produced with ground straps where needed and bare metal contact areas that insured good grounding between metal surfaces that rely on mechanical fastening to provide a ground. Over the years corrosion, too much paint and missing ground straps have created many problems with these gauges. The gauge housings must have a good ground contact with the instrument cluster mounting panel. The instrument cluster mounting panel must have a good ground with the dash. The engine must have that ground strap at the right forward engine mount to insure the two senders have a good path to ground. The fuel tank must have a good path to ground for it's sender to function properly. In many cases removing paint for better contact is more work then just adding a special ground strap for that item.

2 - The M38 instrument system complexity is further aggrevated by the need to match early gauges with correct resistors and both early and late gauges with the correct matching sender. Early M38's thru serial MC17855 had external resistors on the power lead connections to reduce 24V to 6 Volt. After that serial the M38 used gauges with internal resistors. You cannot mix and match these! The Army contributed to this matching issue when they converted most of the M38 fleet from 100 PSI oil pressure gauges to 60 PSI oil pressure gauges. Each of these use a different sender. Be patient and study your gauge and sender part numbers and compare them to the m38's ORD 9 SNL G-740 parts manual.

3 - The oil pressure, water temp and fuel quantity gauges all get their power from wire #27 which is called the spider harness. Early M38's thru MC65042 had a Circuit Breaker (CB) mounted on the instrument cluster and the #27 spider harness connected to it. Power was supllied via wire's #10 & #11 thru the ignition switch to the 27 CB and harness. To further complicate this the early M38's thru MC65927 had three circuit breakers (CB) on the inboard side of the cowl battery box. One for the auxilliary power receptacle, one for the Bendix type light switch and one for the horn.

Do not rely on the dash plate serial number to decide how your M38 is equipped. A visual inspection is quite necessary beacuse you should always remember that the two serial plates on an M38 were attached only with screws and were easily switched from one M38 to another!

4 - Finally you must carefully examine each of the Douglass connectors in your wiring harness. These have a strong tendency to become short circuits to ground when the wires in them and the rubber grommets in them deteriorate with age and their metal shells contact a metal surface or another Douglass connector's shell.

5 - The Army did help a bit with a TB that covers most of the troubleshooting guidelines you need to follow with the gauges.
TB 9-2300-228-20 Tactical Transport and Combat Vehicles:
Troubleshooting for Instrument Cluster Gages, Switches, Circuit Breakers, Sending Units and Related
Wiring dated 8 July 1960.
http://willysmjeeps.com/downloads/instruments.pdf

6 - Ammeter uses wires #8 & #9 from the voltage regulator where the ammeter's shunt is located. If you have a jeep converted to a transistorized voltage regulator then the ammeter is removed and replaced with a volt meter since there is no shunt in the transistorized regulator and wires #8 & #9 are not used. Instead the voltmeter is connected to the #27 wire spider harness.

You will find many publications available free in PDF format on our downloads page: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads

24V electrical system data: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=57

M38 Electrical: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=46

Manuals in general: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=60

Early instrument cluster.

Late instrument cluster.

Early M38 circuit breakers

This diagram illustrates the wiring changes for the CB's vs No CB's.

This 5 wire instrument harness replaces the 4 wire when a volt met5er and transistorized regulator are used.

Here are some choices for improving the grounds.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
tomsetterwall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes!

I am overwhelmed of your kind and fast fact-filled reply!
Chrystal clear pics compered to my blurred ones I have in my TM reprint...
Iīll have too roll up my sleeves and get going!

The serial # at my jeep is 101921. It has been used in the Greek army and was saved/rebuilt by a retired greek MP captain at Crete.
He didīnt speak english, and my greek is limited to a few words, so it was exciting to negotiate the prize...

Will post a couple of pics in the near future.

All the best from Sweden!
Very Happy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tom,

Glad to help. You serial number is an odd one. The US M38 production at Willys ran from Sep 1950 thru June 1952. The first serial was MC10001 and the last was MC72329. Perhaps you can post photos of the data plates on the dash and on the front end of the right rear wheel house?

Dash serial plate

Wheel house patent plate

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
tomsetterwall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Wes,

I am trying to find out how to attach a photo to my reply.... Rolling Eyes
The wheelhouse data plate is missing but the rest of the plates on the dash is there.
Will post a couple of pics when I can.

Thanks a lot!
Tom
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We show how to attach photos to your post on our
Quote:
Photo Posting & Gallery requests/problems

The second item, which is a sticky.

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8670

tomsetterwall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Wes,

Iīve been trying for a couple of hours to attach photos, but I canīt get hold of it....
Maybee Iīm too old.... Crying or Very sad

Iīll make another try the upcoming weekend.

Thanks, Tom
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are aware that the photo you wish to post cannot be placed directly in your post from your computer? It must be currently on a web site IE a photo storage web site like photo bucket or our member's albums on our web site. Also they must be open to the general public. If access to your stored photos require a pass word to access them they can't be posted because our website is blocked when it tries to access the program to pick up the photo.

tomsetterwall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okidoki!

That could be my problem....

Get back when I can!

Tom Very Happy
tomsetterwall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]
tomsetterwall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Wes!
I made it!
A pic of my data plate, and a couple of the entire jeep will follow.

Tom Laughing
tomsetterwall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
tomsetterwall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

Forgot to mention that the data plate is hard to read, but that it was delivered in 4, 52.
Tom
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Good looking jeep. That plate is clearly an overstamp. The serial stamping should have matched the standard Willys stampings of the period.

Your stampings are way too large. I would guess it was an added Greek serial.

tomsetterwall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes!

Do anyone know if the Greeks bought M38s directly from Willys, or did they buy surplus jeeps from the US later? Or some kind of Military Aid Programme?
I am wondering why they would use the original data plates in english, instead of putting greek data plates on them.....
Maybee, we will never know.

Thanks, Tom Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: