Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Help ID'ing M38A1 Hardware
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help ID'ing M38A1 Hardware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w30bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Help ID'ing M38A1 Hardware Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Picked up a box of M38A1 hardware (nuts, bolts, brackets, etc) at Red Ball and need help figuring out what a couple things are in the pic below. The metal pipe "T" and rubber elbow were connected when I found them. Are these parts of the battery box drain system? It looks like the "T" may have been coated with something rubbery at some point, as there are remnants of it inside. The grommet is unusual in that the center hole is offset. It's molded that way and in good shape.....but I have no idea where it goes. Lastly are the shifter knobs. At first I thought they were old worn out junk, but looking closer I see they're basically new. And heavy! They have a rough surface finish and the knobs on my T-case levers are smooth. These things feel like rocks when you pick them up and they have a steel insert. They feel too heavy for bakelite, and when you smack them together they sound like pool balls hitting. Not sure if the original knobs were smooth or rough like these..........any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

regards,
bob

4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
My new replacement knobs are pretty heavy and have that pool ball click when smacked together. Round edge on the side.

For what it's worth, my takeoffs which are in bad shape have the same metal insert inside. There's too much junk on the outside to get anything out of smackng them together. But they aren't light either.

The Ord ( G758 does list a tee for the drain but it is listed as steel. What you have may be steel, just extremely corroded. I suspect it is the drain tee between the two trays, and the rubber is part of the rubber drains.

There aren't any pics in the Ord 9, but the battery parts start on page 170, and the stuff you are looking at is on page 173.

Take care,
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
w30bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Thanks! Any idea where the grommet with the offset hole goes? Is it even an M38A1 part?

The "T" is made of steel. It just has a rubberized coating on it.........like the battery hold down brackets. That's why I'm thinking it's part of the battery drain system.

thanks again,
bob
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stuff on the shifter balls isn't cosmolene is it?

It's pretty hard if put on originally in the 50's.

Only an A1 guy could tell you about the grommet.

Is it split or solid all the way around?f
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
w30bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi B,

The grommet is solid, no split. The shifter balls are clean.......no cosmo. I'm going to look at them under the magnifying glass and see if I can find any markings or numbers.

thanks,
bob
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our members has a complete set of photos on those drain parts in his Mjeeps photo album.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
w30bob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Just found it. Thanks Wes! Those look like the parts I found.

The photo album is under "sinrisnekaf" and here's the link.

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=sinrisnekaf

thanks,
bob
w30bob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

While we're talking battery box drains..........is there a master list for tubing the military used? Reason I ask is the ORD calls out Tubing 44-T-5080-35 for one of the battery drain tubes, but there's no definition of 44-T-5080-35 in the ORD. It has the other definitions for the -65 and -10 tubing, but not the -35. And I'd like to see what ID/OD they call out for this steel tubing.

thanks,
bob
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they have several supply manuals that have that info but we cannot usually find those manuals out here. Check the ORD 7 & ORD 8's for both jeeps.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle John or Brent Mullins may have the hose...

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11134&highlight=battery+drain+hose
w30bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Your comment about cosmolene on the shifter balls got me thinking. Rolling them around in my hand it sure didn't feel like cosmo.....but on second thought I didn't try hitting them with any solvent. I'm going to do that when I get home tonight. Thanks.

regards,
bob
w30bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Tried some strong solvent on the balls......the roughness doesn't come off, they were made that way. Did get a set of the 2 angled battery drain tubes from Dan at Midwest, and the long 90 degree tube is available......so I now have all the parts needed to put my battery drain system in place. Still haven't found a spec for the 44-T-5080-35 rubber tubing.......but haven't had much time to dig deeper. Also never found out what the goofy grommet is for, or if it even belongs on the A1. I'm going to assume it's not an A1 part, as I'm sure someone restoring one would have remembered it. Thanks again for the help!

regards,
bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: