Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - No start?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No start?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustenWilson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: No start? Reply with quote

At first when i purchased the jeep it ran okay and could drive it very slow. But was very hard to start and moved really slow and only drove in low gear and would almost die everytime i attempted high gear. So i think it's the timing, i bought a timing gun and adjusted the distributer. Distributer barely moved at ALL. But i got it as close as possible to the timing mark on the pully. The distributer like i said really wouldn't move at all and it would not come up/out. I thought maybe it wasn't seated right or somthing. Well i started to research (before i bought this jeep i barely new how to install a battery, working progress.) my problem and found somthing on the G503 forum about the oil pump gears the distributer and if its off just by a tooth than it just will not ever start or run right. After I adjusted the distributer it seemed to start faster, not instantly just a litte faster lol. Well i noticed a lot of gas with my oil (i posted a topic about it awile back). And my seals are just about gone now. Oil all over the drive way. I'm not sure but the engine has to have a good amount of compression to start right? well if these seals are bad and are leaking they really wouldn't/couldn't hole pressure. Perhaps not enought to start. Well i had a friend come over and he messed with it a little and he said my distributer hits weak some times and sometimes not at all but he would jump pretty high when it did though lol. I paid $2,500 for the jeep. I'm thinking that maybe a made a mistake i don't know. I'm totaly lost, only thing i can do is just give it an educated guess. Do you think i over paid on my jeep (those that have seen pictures of it). And i'm not 100% sure about the firing order. Yeah i know it goes 1,4,3,2. BUT what is the order on the distributer? Something that i could never get clear. And now that my buddy messed with my jeep it will not start anymore. The engine turns but it doesn't make the clutter noise it used to make. But it turns, turns, and turns. Nothing more. I choke it, and after awile of course it starts to smell like gas and flood. I have not bought any manuals for it yet. I REALLY need to but everywhere i go, they have like 50 freakin manuals for the jeep. I don't even know which one to buy. I keep hearing that these manuals have been copied and put on a disk. But they only place I have found these manuals are on a site that half works jpegs don't work and stuff like that makes me nervous. Also i think my distributer rattled loose because its loose now. I'm sure it comes loose while running it can get ugly am i right? but i'm exhausted today so i think i'm going to hit the sack a little earlier tonight guys. I appreciate all the help. goodnight

justen wilson
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,

Take a deep breath and relax... You are at the point alot of us have been at...

First off there are only a few manuals you will need to get started... These can be gotten in Adobe PDF format from Military Media. They cost about $20 for a CD with manuals for the MB/GPW (WWII Jeeps), the M-38, the M-38A1 and the later M-151 (Vietnam jeep/mutt)... Or you can ge very good reprints from Portrayal Press... I would start with the CD, cheaper and you can print the pages out...

If you have gas in your oil, there is a problem there more than likely the fuel pump is leaking the gas into the oil pan...

Get the manuals and start reading them... lots of good information there...

Also please let us know where you are located... update your profile and maybe one of us nearby can lend a supporting hand...

Hope this helps...

BTW - I have been to the point of using a cutting torch and making a pile of scrap out of mine; so do not be discouraged... it takes time to learn...
JustenWilson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a re-built fuel pump but i think i'm going to wait to put it on. The gas ate up my seals so i think i'm going to buy a engine, transmission, and transfer case rebuild kit for it and just through it all on in one weekend. I think i'm going to also buy a new distributer for it as well. And my name is Justen i live in Andrews, TX (near odessa and midland TX) and i'm 21 years old.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justen,

Army Jeep Parts and Midwest Military have good rubber parts/seals for the fuel system.

if the pump diaphram leaks, gas can get into the engine crankcase oil.

I think the going through the drive train is not a bad idea. Smile
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i'm going to buy a engine, transmission, and transfer case rebuild kit for it and just through it all on in one weekend.

Unless you have a ton of experience rebuilding all these Willys units you're going to have a looooong weekend! Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JustenWilson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thanks wesk shoot me in the foot why don't ya LOL jk. If it needs it than i must do it. I work at least 80 hours a week so when i plan a weekend off i must start and finish it that same weekend. But i have a few semi-expirenced people and one VERY expirenced person helping me this weekend so i think things should go okay. Cross your fingers for us. Tomarrow at when i get in the office i will order all these items. Only thing i'm going to redue in the drive train and engine is replace seals. The drive train and engine have all been rebuilt from the ground up but has been sitting since 1997 and all the seals (diaphram in fuel pump) have dry rotted and ruined the seals. So everything should be fine. It ran perfect when he parked it. Moved to Alaska to work/build the major oil pipeline. And recently visited Texas and sold me the jeep. So i'm hoping that i don't need a major rebuild. Also did i get a decent deal on the jeep for $2,500?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/JustenWilson/Picture018.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/JustenWilson/Picture016.jpg
PeteL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justen,

I would start with the basics, the simple easy stuff, and do ONE thing at a time. Otherwise you may get buried in unnecessary complexity. Start with getting one "known, good" thing done before you mess with the next. A logical progression is vital for diagnosing.

For instance - why buy a distributor? It could just need the points (dwell) adjusted.

Go one baby step at a time and it won't be half as bad as you imagine. Don't panic! We have all been there.

Pete.
JustenWilson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone think that i paid to much for my jeep? $2,500 an okay deal? pictures are above.
GIJOE290

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustenWilson wrote:
anyone think that i paid to much for my jeep? $2,500 an okay deal? pictures are above.
It's always hard to tell by photo, but from what I see you got a whole lot more for a lot less than I did. Smile

More pics, please. Very Happy
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Restoration Begins Summer 2005! ...Er Maybe 2006? 2010? 2015? 202...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: