Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1953 M38A1 Data/Patent Plate Info Needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1953 M38A1 Data/Patent Plate Info Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: 1953 M38A1 Data/Patent Plate Info Needed Reply with quote

1. It looks like there are more than one style Patent Plate available...which one would be correct for my 1953 M38A1?

2. Am I corredct in thinking the date stamp should look like this for a November 1953 date "11/53" ? My s/n is 64580 which looks like Nov '53 to me...

3. Do ALL Inspector stamps have the same letters "EPM" ? What does that stand for?

4. Would the inspector logo stamp be a Cannon or Eagle ?

5. Are any of the Data Plates specific to NAVY as I have USN on the hood or are they all the same?

I want to get the data plates (mine are missing) and would like to be as accurate as I can be.

Thanks,

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Go to my educational / technical photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Then go to my M38A1/M170/M38A1CDN Survey Guide album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album87&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Mike_B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Wes I looked at your pictures and I'll try to answer my own questions...

1. It looks like there are more than one style Patent Plate available...which one would be correct for my 1953 M38A1?

Still need help...would a late 1953 M38A1 still have "Willys Overland" plate or would it be "Willys Motors Inc." and should it be White or Black?

2. Am I correct in thinking the date stamp should look like this for a November 1953 date "11/53" ? My s/n is 64580 which looks like Nov '53 to me...

I'll go with the "/" as I found 1952 and 1955 both with the "/" between the month and year.

3. Do ALL Inspector stamps have the same letters "EPM" ? What does that stand for?

Looks like "EPM" is on all of the plates I've seen...still don't know what it means???

4. Would the inspector logo stamp be the Cannons or Eagle ?

I've seen them both used, but can't find a pattern, so I quess it doesn't matter??? I'll flip a coin...lol

5. Are any of the Data Plates specific to NAVY as I have USN on the hood or are they all the same?

I did see your picture showing the RA as Navy. Now I need to see if they are being reproduced somewhere.

As a new question to the group...I see DataPlates4U (Netherlands) and HorneDataplates (Poland) both having a large selection of Data Paltes. Is the quality the same or is there really only one supplier and they both carry the same makers stuff?

Thanks,

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK Wes I looked at your pictures and I'll try to answer my own questions...

Now you have the same working information I have!

Yes, there are more than one. Willys Motors Inc. Black.

Still need help...would a late 1953 M38A1 still have "Willys Overland" plate or would it be "Willys Motors Inc." and should it be White or Black?

2. Am I correct in thinking the date stamp should look like this for a November 1953 date "11/53" ? My s/n is 64580 which looks like Nov '53 to me...

Yes, 11/53

I'll go with the "/" as I found 1952 and 1955 both with the "/" between the month and year.

Many do. Some say an inspector's initials and some say the office symbol for the inspector and there are a few more guesses

Looks like "EPM" is on all of the plates I've seen...still don't know what it means???

4. Would the inspector logo stamp be the Cannons or Eagle ?

Eagle

I've seen them both used, but can't find a pattern, so I quess it doesn't matter??? I'll flip a coin...lol

Some are different. Usually 1948-55 were all US Army procured. After 55 the Navy & Marines seemed to contract seperately.

I did see your picture showing the RA as Navy. Now I need to see if they are being reproduced somewhere.

As a new question to the group...I see DataPlates4U (Netherlands) and HorneDataplates (Poland) both having a large selection of Data Paltes. Is the quality the same or is there really only one supplier and they both carry the same makers stuff?

Thanks,

Mike B Smile

These are the plates you need:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: