Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1953 M38A1 repro driver's seat frame question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1953 M38A1 repro driver's seat frame question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_B

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: 1953 M38A1 repro driver's seat frame question Reply with quote

Is it normal for the driver's seat to sit taller than the passenger seat? The back of the stock passenger seat is 23" from floor to top of the seat back and the repro is 24". I can't see where they picked up the difference. The legs look right as the back seat bottom angle iron is only about 1/2" off the tank, so it can't go lower.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the measurement from the top rail of the seat frames to the dash? The seat with the shorter distance should be the taller seat. It's all about angles.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Mike_B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

The top of the drivers seat to top of the dash is 36.75"and to the floor is 24".

The top of the passenger seat to top of the dash is 34.75" and to the floor is 23".

So, the repo drivers seat frame is reclined back more than the passenger seat and it's taller...is that the way they were built originally?

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of us can confirm how the seat was originally built.

You will need the factory blueprint to ascertain that.

In my example above I assumed the height of the seat back measured from seat frame bottom rail to the seatback top rail was the same. The only way your driver's seat could be tilted back further and still be taller is the seat back itself is taller.

Is it possible your passenger seat is really a civvy CJ2A seat? The 2A seats were not angled back as far as the CJ3A & M38 seats were because the wheelhouse on the 2A is more vertical at the front.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Mike_B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

I'm not building a show piece, I just want to know if both seats were about the same height and at the same tilt back angle. An internet search shows them both ways, about level and drivers taller by 1" or more.

Anyone out there care to measure the distance from the top of the seat back to the floor for me? Also answer if both seats are the same...mine are 23" passenger and 24" drivers with the drivers tilted back a little more (maybe 1" more measured at the top).

I'd post a picture, but never mastered how to size them Sad

Thanks,

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1" difference in vertical seat back height observed from the left or right side of the jeep or the tailgate would be tough to discern.

Since the driver's seat is occupied more often it is common for it to be aged further aft at the top. Tank clearance and stop bracket heights on the wheel houses will also vary height.

As I just said above, you should first confirm the dimensions of the two seat backs which may be at the root of the differences.

I never inferred you were building a show piece?

Pictures are very valuable to support questions and answers to these posts. Resizing is quite simple and I am a mechanic not a computer guru. So if I can learn it I am sure you can as well. Have a friend in your neighborhood demonstrate it for you and you will pick it up quickly.

Kendall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you mentioned it I hadn't noticed, but the back of my driver's seat is higher than the passenger seat. Nearest the center of the jeep, the height of the back of the drivers seat to the floor is 24 3/4" and the passenger seat is 22 3/4".
Kendall
1942 Dodge WC-55
1951 M100 trailer
1942 Ben Hur trailer
Mike_B

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke down and bought a NOS Drivers Seat frame and it showed up today. It bolted right in and just like the reproduction frame it sits about 1" taller, so I guess that's the way they were/are.

If anyone is interested here are the issues I see with the reproduction M38A1 Drive Seat Frame;

1. The left front leg bolt tab that sits on the door opening is angled forward because that leg channel was welded to far back on the seat frame tubing.

2. That same tab is also to big and overhangs the outer edge of the tub and would need to be trimmed to not have that raw edge sticking out into the door opening.

3. The left rear leg that attaches to the wheel house is welded in at the wrong angle. The fix is to cut and re-weld the top part of the flat steel leg extension and shorten it up which will pull the captured nut up and into the correct angle/position.

4. The Seat Back is reclined to far back (about 1") and would need to be pulled/bent forward to match the passenger side. It's like they used a worn out over flexed seat as their pattern.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: