Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Does the L134 usually have a valve tick?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does the L134 usually have a valve tick?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Does the L134 usually have a valve tick? Reply with quote

I just got my exhaust put on my M38 and with the engine being a lot quieter now I can hear a ticking noise that sounds like its toward the front of the engine on the valve side. It does get faster as rpms go up but not louder. Do these engines usually have a valve tick to them? Even before I took the jeep apart it seems that it has always done this. The engine doesnt smoke and runs really well. Oil pressure is good. Im wondering if my valves may be out of adjustment. I have been lucky so far as the engine is concerened. I havent had to touch it save a carb and fuel pump
usma41

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your fan belts are not to tight.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a tick is very common and when it persists after the engine has warmed up it's time to re-adjust the valves. If you've never adjusted solid lifters before you should get someone who has and go through it once with them. It's not rocket science but you could consider it an art form to know just where TDC is and knowing exactly what a slight resistance means with the feeler gage.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am going to have a mechanic familiar with flathead engines listen to it. I think its the valves ticking but I keep second guessing myself that it could be a rod knocking. But wouldnt a rod knok be louder on the passenger side of the engine? Would the engine even run well with a rod knocking? Ive never had an engine with solid lifters in it before so I dont really know how to determine the noise and how to adjust them. It looks like it could be a bear to get to. Do you have to remove the manifold to get the valves adjusted?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rods KNOCK (Loud deep bang) and valves tick (light tick, tick, tick on just under the lefter cover. You can do them with the exhaust manifold in place but it is easier with it removed. The tick is about the same weather you have hydraulic or solid lifters.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
usma41

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would first get a broom handel and cut it down about two feet, then put one end on the head over each cylender and the other to your ear and see if you can hear which one it is if any.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add an answer again, I used to think the 'tick' was normal as every jeep I ever came across in Europe had the 'tick' my worn M38 has a deffinate 'tick'. My new M201 engine doesn't.
A very well rebuilt engine runs almost silently, the French engines that are on the market now (often said to be M38 engines because they have an almost identicle water-resistant distributor and plug leads and plugs and genny etc) have been built at the French tax payers expense where profit was not a consideration.
These run with a loverly wurrrrrrrrrre sound and with the bonnet closed you can hardly tell they are runnning.
So your engine doesn't HAVE to have a 'tick'.
From experience once they are worn they are a pig to set and getting rid of the tick is in my experience impossible, I'm sure somebody can do it.... but not me. Time to take them and the lifters out and hand them to somebody with a quality griding wheel and experience.
All the best,
Dave
Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our mechanics here at the dealership used to be in the army and still fools around with engines quite a bit. Im going to bring the jeep up here in a few weeks to paint the rest of the jeep and parts since I have no heater at home. He is going to listen to it to make sure it is a valve and show me how to adjust them. If they are too worn to adjust there is an engine rebuilder down the street that does a lot of engine work and I can have him go through the valves redone. Of course if I go that far we might as well pull the bottom pan too and check everything else! (Which could turn a valve job into a major overhaul Shocked for some reason thats the way my luck goes!)
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,
I'll cross my fingers but I don't think you have a serious problem. If the engine runs well and has the good compressions you listed then it's just the necessary periodic adjustment that's needed.

Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Wes, I ordered some seat covers from Mona Roth the other day and she sure talked highly of you! She said that if you were ever at a function I was attending to make sure and listen to all of your stories!!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-Oh Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: