Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38a1 regulator to starter and batteries harness.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38a1 regulator to starter and batteries harness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamaj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: M38a1 regulator to starter and batteries harness. Reply with quote

Is there anyone that I can buy just this harness or better yet the connector for the regulator I can wire myself. I'm only trying to get my Jeep running and charging befor I remove the body from the frame and start doing metal work. When I start back together with everything I will buy a complete harness. Thanks Jeff
G740

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midwest Military
John
bamaj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need battery cables E, F & Y.

You will need Firewall harness D.

You will need Generator to regulator cable assy C

Do you know if your engine instruments are functioning properly??? They will require a few additional wires that are not in the firewall harness assy D.

If you do not wish to fool with the instruments yet then I would suggest you use a mechanical water temp and oil pressure gauges mounted at or near the engine and use a digital volt meter to monitor the charging system during test runs.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bamaj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cable C that goes from the generator to the regulator. I do need the battery cables and your right none of my gauges are working so I wasn't gonna fool with them right now. I was just going to run the mechanical temp and oil pressure gauges like you suggested. Really trying to just figure out if I'm looking at a engine rebuild or what I have to work with. Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you plan on a factory show class restoration or a daily driver?

If not a show jeep do yourself a favor and buy bulk 2 GA welding cable in a length that will take care of all three cables. You can buy the terminals as well at any auto parts store. Then fabricate your own 3 battery cables. You can cut each to length and if you have a crimping tool crimp the new terminals on them. If you don't have the crimp tool just take them to an auto-electric shop and have them crimp the terminals for you. I do not believe in soldering these automotive terminals. Solder does not tolerate vibration or excessive motion well.

If you have the old regulator plug that connected to the firewall harness it would be simple to fabricate your own firewall harness (item D). You will need some 8, 12 & 14 GA wire.

Have you priced the commercially available harnesses yet? You are looking at somewhere around $800 if you deal direct with Vintage Wiring of Maine. More if you use a middle man dealer.
http://vintagewiring.com/wiring-products/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bamaj

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend on doing a daily driver so the welding cable will work perfect. Also I do have the old connector but at some point there has been a short in the wiring that burned the wires right up to the connector. Can the connector be taken apart where I can replace all of the wires? If so how do I get it apart?
mdainsd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Screw the connector into the mating connector on the regulator. Get some soft jaw pliers on the very back part of the connector. It will unscrew. Cut the old damaged wires right at the rubber grommet at the back of the connector. Hose that grommet down with WD-40 or similar. Use a small screw driver and work your way around the grommet prying it out a little at a lime. What you are left with is a standard connector with solder cup terminals. De-solder the remnants of the old wires, clean everything up and you are ready to use again.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you tackle the connector try reading the TM 9-1825E that instructs you on how to rebuild that connector.

I have a copy right here on our downloads page.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=161
You want Chapter 5 Connectors.

This is a spare M38 firewall harness but it is virtually identical to the M38A1 harness except for a couple of the lengths listed.

If you are not comfortable with disassembly of the connector and you have at least 1" of the wires remaining at the back of the plug you can simply splice in new wire material.

bamaj

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you have the answer to every question. Lol
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there is a wee bit of thruth in that. My photo albums and the downloads pages on this web site will answer 95 % of the questions asked in these forums if the readers will give them a chance and use them. Wink

bamaj

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I have been reading a lot but to be quite honest it's a lot to take in. Thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: