Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Another Hood Registration Number Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Hood Registration Number Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eades

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Another Hood Registration Number Question Reply with quote

I have sanded the hood lightly and I do have part of registration number for my 1951 M38 serial number 38,0XX. Here are a few pictures including the number written on the underside of the hood with a grease or paint pen. I hope it is actually the registration number. I have been researching and many 8 digit numbers begin with 208, 209, 236 etc. Has there been documentation of a 264XXXX? What do you all think? Thank you for your technical knowledge.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your photos don't show us all of what you can see in person. The best I can make out in photo 1 is the 5. In photo 2 I can make out a 9 space 5.

No 26XXXXXX M38 hood numbers. Those numbers as paired are probably just a quick recording of the four numbers; 20, 60, 45, 45 which I think are the compressions someone wanted to remember on the 4 cylinders.

Your only M38 Army hood number choices are 236XXXX, 238XXXX, 208XXXXX and 209XXXXX.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Eades

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely difficult to see in the photos. The last three digits for the hood number is 855 I believe. Thanks for the thought on compression. That did not cross my mind but makes total sense written in that format.
MattyT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my post seeking guidance. Maybe it could be useful.

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10141&highlight=

For what it’s worth I personally FEEL I see two numbers possibly a ‘6’ and an ‘8’ to the left of the three clearly identified ones(855). wet it first and take a couple more pics then based on what you see or don’t see, I would use 1000,1500 or even 2000 grit sandpaper a little at a time, ensure it’s wet, patience, take many pictures as you go without the flash/different angles and then choose a couple to post. I love the chase for what I consider the holy graille.....some documentation to the past...history... whatever it may be.

Good luck and look forward to seeing a few more pics!!! 🤞
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I see 649552. so 23649552. My opinion. John
Eades

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oileaker. I need to take some greater time and lightly sand the area again. Other parts of the project and life are pulling me there. I would like to play with the photo in black and white or similar to see if there is more of a highlight.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try paint stripper. I have better luck with it. Practice elsewhere first. Spray it on and then wipe it back off just after it starts working. Wear some rubber gloves and eye protection. Different paints seem to strip at different rates. On one of my M38's, it had been through a re-build program in Japan. They sandblasted it and re-painted. One side was totally the same etch to the metal, but on the other side, the paint thickness and blast duration left a ghost image of the number in the metal. When I shined the blast lamp on my commercial hose at a angle, I saw the numbers in the metal. The etch was just enough different you could read the hood number. A once in a lifetime experience.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC380XX would have a 209XXXXX hood #. So if as said above the number on that hood is 23649552 it would be something other than an M38 since the highest 236XXXX # assigned to the M38's was about 2368650. If the last 5 are really 649552 then that would mean the 6 must really be a 9 or an 8. Since the real serial must be classified I'll offer this for an idea where the number would really be. MC38000's hood number would have been 20906166.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like USA or US ARMY is also above. Hope you can see the numbers better without totally removing them. Sometimes the numbers have been repainted on a newer paint job, and you'll find them again below.

The other nasty joke on you is that the hood got replaced at one time and the numbers are from another Jeep. I think Lloyd White who wrote some wonderful books on MB's has a data base compiled on M38 hood numbers too.

One of my two M38's had the whole tub replaced at one time, or all the tags swapped. Jeeps have had lots of owners and lots of messing with over the years. Wink
Rick_L

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hood has similar numbers written in grease pen on the underside. Mine read:

Feb '62

1-90
2-100
3-110
4-105
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: