Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - a1 rear axle removal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a1 rear axle removal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeke57

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: a1 rear axle removal Reply with quote

I am ready to pull the rear axles to repack bearings and install inner seals but I cannot find the proper tool locally to do the job. I was told to use a slide hammer and although Auto Zone and Advance Auto both had them they were lacking the proper adaptor to attach to the axle so now I am not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The puller is needed for removing the hub from the rear axle. Then you unbolt the rear axle bearing retainer and the axle will usually slide right out. A slide type puller is not the best choice. A striker type puller is the tool of choice. Most cases the tapered hub joint won't give to a slide type puller.

OTC Hub Puller Part # 7394 $159.00 You can find offshore units cheaper, often under $50

If you must try a cheaper slide puller you will need one with the two adapters at the far left (MY BAD) make that far right in this photo. Their usual problem is they often do not clear the threaded end of the axle.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
longld

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean at the far right of the pic?
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the hub removed from the axle and the bearing retainer unbolted but the axle will not budge that is why I was wondering if I need a slide hammer or something to force the axle out. My local auto parts stores do not carry the right tool so are there other options?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you removed the brake backing plate?

This is where you should be right now

Don't loose track of any shims. Item E in illustration may be more than just one.

If you install a new bearing on either side you will have to re-adjust end play with these shims. Of cours you should measure end play anytime the axle is removed on either side.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes everything is removed including the backing plate. I see in the illustration a slide hammer with a three jaw puller around the axle nut and washer being used to pull the axle. I am heading back to Auto Zone to borrow one and give it a try. On the subject of shims the p/s axle had a shim in front and in back of the bearing retainer while the d/s axle had only one shim behind the bearing retainer. Does this sound correct?
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the slide hammer did the trick got everything apart repacked the bearings and installed the inner seals. Looking at the manual the shims are the first part to go on after the axles are in place. Upon closer inspection there are indeed two shims on each side the two on the d/s were so tight together it looked like one. When I disassembled the p/s I was real careful to put everything in order the way it came off and there was one shim on each side of the beating retainer so did someone put it back together wrong and in fact both shims should be up against the axle tube flange which it shows in the manual? I would say it was reassembled wrong just want to be sure.
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the slide hammer did the trick got everything apart repacked the bearings and installed the inner seals. Looking at the manual the shims are the first part to go on after the axles are in place. Upon closer inspection there are indeed two shims on each side the two on the d/s were so tight together it looked like one. When I disassembled the p/s I was real careful to put everything in order the way it came off and there was one shim on each side of the beating retainer so did someone put it back together wrong and in fact both shims should be up against the axle tube flange which it shows in the manual? I would say it was reassembled wrong just want to be sure.
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing how critical is the end play? I noted how much play there was before I removed the axles and I have what I think feels about the same but it is just an educated guess.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the shims only in the location shown in the illustration for either side.

The end play is adjusted per the spec in TM 9-804 page 139 (top of page) or TM 9-8012 page 251 Par. (1) thru (13). Setting is 0.003 to 0.007.

The end play determines the bearing life by controlling pressure/heat buildup. I think this is important enough to get her right the first time. Always cheaper in time and money that way.

You measure it with a dial indicator.

zeke57

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen if I have excessive end play? Right now I would say it is over the .007. Just wondering if it would be ok as is.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I already stated. Too tight bearings run too hot to loose bearings rattle & hammer = accelerated wear. Why are you fighting this simple adjustment that can save over $100 in time & parts?

zeke57

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the reason I am avoiding setting the axle end play is that I have never done it and I do not own a dial indicator.
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbor Freight sells dial indicators and the Magnetic mount. It will probably be cheaper than having premature wear and having to redo what you have done and more.
Remember Jeep stands for
JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET.
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else have a recommendation for a dial indicator that will do the job for reasonable $$$. I have no problem spending top dollar for a quality tool if it will see constant use but in my case it will only see sporadic use. Would I be better off buying a quality used one off ebay or buy a new lesser brand. Thanks for all the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: