Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Project Salty
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Salty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“In MASH there was an episode called Dear Dad. Radar was mailing a Jeep home bit by bit... my fedex guy has been delivering it to me. “

🤣
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another hot day yesterday in the yard.
Picked up my dump run items for Wednesday (I have a dental that will take a few hours so I took that day off too)

The dump takes tires for free. Sure keeps the side roads and fields free of garbage.

My back yard is lighter by probably 200 pounds of rusted metal from the Jeep.
I should have weighted the Jeep and then weight it finished to see how different it was.

Lots of measuring, cutting, fitting and more for a few hours to fit the new rear quarters. I cut thru the wheel wells and left the spot welds attaches to the sides so I could drill them out later.

Pop up thunder storm rolled over so I had to quit for an hour. Then just went back out for the two hours of spot weld removal. I went thru two Blair bits doing that.
Wire wheel the rust, thre a little rusty metal primer on it- waiting for my ospho to show up.

Today I might weld the rear lower quarters on.

Need to give myself a deadline of probably the 20th to stop work, catalog what was done, and what I have to still do. Have a upcoming 12 week patrol to sail.
Our COVID restrictions are still tight and get tighter to a remain in place starting Friday (meaning house restriction till we sail- but the whole crew will still be working every day )
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep back on the frame. Again, I’m by myself on this journey. It wasn’t so bad; I just positioned myself between the dash and my Middle support bar and lifted. Used a 2x4 to help slide it up onto the frame.

If I go to take this off the frame again, I will need to use the engine hoist.

Lined up the front mounts and put some saw horses under the wheel arches. Set up my panels and clamped the bunch in.

I have probably 20 pliers clamps from harbor freight.

(I was messing around - this was just a photo to mess with my buddy about HF.)

The rear floor section I ordered from Kaiserwillys and it came damaged. The fedex guy took off before I was able to unbox it and refuse shipment. It was slightly bent at the forward panel, so I ended up having to keep it.
I did get the hammer and dolly out, a 2x4 chunk and a 5lb hammer.

You can’t tell, but it was on the driver side. It was tweeted to the rear.

Another purchase from KW. A tailgate.

It fit good. The driver side tab on the surround panel rubs against the tailgate. A BFH and a grinder will take care of that.

On the old wheel well panels the seat supports are spot welded in. Worth saving or are there some aftermarchet I can get? I need a new driver seat so I have to wait till that is a purchase I am going to make.

I’m running out of in-port time. Duty overnight three more times before I leave. What a waste of my time. ( I’ve been in 21 years- I know the drill... I just get annoyed I relive an O1 who magically always has a quiet duty day, and I get the chaos )
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you love the Butter Bars?? Smile
It may be worth it, for your sanity and the O1's credibility, to tactfully bring it up and point that out. I know that me, as an officer, would want things like that pointed - if I hadn't already seen it and acted on it - because every O must pull their own weight and more, especially on a small vessel with a tight crew.
Enjoy your patrol. Summertime patrols can be nice! Smile.
But I'm Army, spent most of my youth on the water on sailing ships, salvage boats, and dive operations.

You're doing a $&% of a job on your M38. Last Summer one of my passenger seat support bracket tabs came loose. I need to weld that back on but haven't done any welding in a long time. Let me know how yours goes and what you find works best with the metal and all.
Thanks.
Josh
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry you can’t buy those seat brackets.

But easily made. Just bend up some 16 gauge and tack them on!

The driver side has a u shape bracket tacked behind it with a hole for the seat bolt. The insert keeps the seat bracket from buckling when you tighten the seat bolt. Look at your takeoff. Again, easy to bend up. The hole has a bend in it like they took a big ball bearing and tapped it on to turn the edge down. I’m guessing to add just a little firmness to keep that guy from crushing as well.

Bretto made some as well. They are a fun little puzzle. I couldn’t think of a really good reason to make two one offs so I have two left side brackets. I think i have pics in my album.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:
How are you finding the Kaiser Willys parts vs. Midwest Military, Army Jeep Parts, or DL Bensinger - or anyone else?

Thanks.
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whydahdvr wrote:
Don't you love the Butter Bars?? Smile
It may be worth it, for your sanity and the O1's credibility, to tactfully bring it up and point that out. I know that me, as an officer, would want things like that pointed - if I hadn't already seen it and acted on it - because every O must pull their own weight and more, especially on a small vessel with a tight crew.....
Josh

Side note- o1 is potentially being relieved of primary duties after knowingly falsifying paperwork which was caught thankfully before we had a more serious issue. Same member was involved in several situations over the year where poor judgement used, inappropriate relationship with jr enlisted etc, gundecking logsbooks, leaving watch station without relief. I can only help someone so much if they don’t try to help themself. I don’t need helpless in a crewman. Can’t blame this on not trying to help. They don’t want to engineer so there is no trying. If a relief of primary duty happens, they owe the USCG for their college education for being unable to complete service obligation.

As for parts from KW vs others. If you buy KW, you get mostly quick service. Some parts are sent from classic enterprises. I haven’t seen anything out of ordinary. Some of their stuff appears to be omix and some MDjuaan, or Classic enterprises.
They had a supplier with tires in stock, they got them to me in 2 days.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s interesting they are selling Classic Enterprises parts. Do you find that out up front when you order it is it luck of the draw?

I have bought from Classic directly. They have a decent website with photos and good descriptions. Good service and fast shipping.

It’s my understanding Omix-Ada is the brand name or at least the distributor for MD Juan parts.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, your seat brackets look pretty good. I’d drill out the spot welds, clean them up and reuse them.
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what.... aftermarket panels don’t fit,

I did out in the wheel house panel on driver side.

It isn’t bowed a little and had to manipulate it to sit stil

Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a common Omix-Ada issue.
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been gone on deployment. what a job that was.
Now back to the scheduled program of work stuff and no time off for personal stuff.

My Jeep tool box finally showed up after being on back order for several months. I ordered it in May, and it showed up in September.

I plan to get the axles stripped down and built this weekend weather pending.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much rain the last few days.
I can’t do any welding while standing in the mud, so I cleaned up where my tires and rims were stored. Full of mosquitos so I did the best I could to clear it and prevent any more breading. They ate me alive!

Dried out the rims and tires And use do my harbor freight tire changer to mount them and put the inner tubes in. I want to use them to help me move the axles around my yard this weekend.

It is just primed. I learned my lesson with my 63f100 build. I powder coated the rims, then no one would mount them so I did it, and chipped them. I have no plans for powdercoating these, so I will just spray them later.

I will move one of then axles up to the front of the house into the garage this week so I can start cleaning them up and Rebuild it.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana 25 is pretty loosey goosey.

I started disassembly at 4pm, but had to do some chores in the house before I started the other side.

Axles and accoutrements all in the garage. I will wipe it all down and put some of these in the parts washer today after work.

When I went thru the axle bearings and rebuild kit I bought from KW, I found I am missing one king pin bearing. I got 5 cups though. Will need to take care of that before reassembly. I purchased another pinion bearing so I can set the pinion.

The diff smells burnt. Had some separated material in it with the grease. Not water though.
I even found a small tab with “bendix only” stamped on it.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts washing today. Lots of gunk, yellow paint and blue paint.

See that I have one bendix joint on the long shaft, and a spicer on the short one (Dana 25)

Looking around in some of my books and online, I assume this is fine....

Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 6 of 42

Jump to: