Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 24 volt turn signal control for m38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

24 volt turn signal control for m38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cowboy2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: 24 volt turn signal control for m38 Reply with quote

I have found a 24 volt turn signal control for my m38 do I need to buy a harness that matches up to the control unit Razz
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy, I moved your technical question posting from our parts wanted board to our technical board where you'll have a better shot at getting an answer. Usually folks that look at the wanted board are interesting is selling what they have but not so much answering technical questions.

I'll try to give you a hand with your question, Can I first assume you are referring to the late style transistorized turn signal system as shown below?

Since the control and the flasher unit both use MS type cannon plugs you will need to buy or fabricate the harnesses.

Saturn Surplus in Penns. usually had these cannon plugs.

If you have a civilian 24 volt turn signal system or the early military relay box system just visit my photo album under the sub-album Turn Signals.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album41&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jnissen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Wes said it depends upon your existing wiring situation. They clearly can be retrofitted into a system. We installed one in an MD that was converted to 12V for instance.

A bit more detail will help. What is system voltage? Has it been rewired or replaced? Still have the original Military light switch?
Lyle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be aware if you want to utilize LED turn signal lamps you with have to buy an over the counter LED complaint 24 volt flasher($12) instead of the military flasher unit. Connects to the same wire harness. OR you can install a 6ohm 50Watt resister I to the wire harness at each LED (load side to ground).
Jeep Rubicon, 2015
M38 CDN, 1952
M416, 1968
cowboy2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: turn signol contdrol Reply with quote

Thank all for your help. one more question I do care about the flasher. Can i just wire from the turn signal control to the front and rear lights. This is the first time I have own a military Willys. May have bite off more than I can chew
Cowboy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to answer the questions we asked you first. I can't offer any smart help until I know exactly what you are adding to what.

1 - Which turn signal system are you using? Use my photo album if you need to verify which system you have.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album41&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

2 - Is your jeep stock waterproof 24V electrics or civvy 12V system?

The three systems will only work correctly if their own components are used together. So no mix and matching is allowed.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
cowboy2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: turn signal Reply with quote

I have a 1952 m38 water proof Willys. that is 24 volts I will be using the turn signal picture below. I want to use the black out lights in the front as turn signal and the rear two lights as turn signals and stop lights. I do not care about flashers. I have been unable to locate a harness for this unit. if I missed any other detail you need let me know, Thanks for your support

Cowboy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will be using the turn signal picture below.

??

Quote:
I do not care about flashers.

All three systems use some sort of flasher.

Did you review my photo album yet? It illustrates everything you are asking about.

jnissen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the harness you are putting in is capable of supporting turnsignals up front or rear the standard wiring is not capable of supporting that.

My son and I converted the front BO lights to be turn signals as well as BO running lights. When the bright bulb lights you can see the turn indication even in the daylight but it's not super bright. Some inspectors may give you trouble if your location requires a safety inspection. Be aware. There are however yellow lense options if you need the additional lumens.

I believe the rear uses two different lights in the rear similar to the MD. Again these can be retrofitted to accept turn signals and recommend you run the covers from a GamaGoat as they have a lot more surface area and will keep you safer on the road. In either case the right and left turn wires will need to be present at the rear. Most standard wiring harnesses will not have that if I read the schematics correctly.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added turn signals to my USMC M38a1 using the parts Wes noted in the second post. I think the hardest part was modifying the light switch plug harness - adding the pigtail to the "J" pin on the plug and cutting/installing connectors to the 22 wire. I considered installing a makeshift civi system with small LED lights, but finally decided to install the more "original" looking setup instead.

The trailer receptacle will either need to be replaced with a newer one with the 22-460 pigtail or a pigtail added to the "J" pin also. If your trailer doesn't have the newer harness with the 22-460 wire built in (M416 wiring harness), you will have to run a wire for that (just like on the Jeep)also - assuming that you will be pulling a trailer of course.

The installation is fairly easy as long as you have good (not brittle) wiring in the Jeep.

Wes has the instructions and other info in his photo album and there are other posts with this info also. I have a write-up and a few pictures on my blog (address in my signature below). Let me know if you need more info or pics.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mdainsd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bit of a job, but well worth the effort, and safety.

Note: It can also be done without cutting or modifying a single wire on your stock harness. You have to add wires, naturally.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
davis911s

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I am wondering if anyone has (or can) take one of theses switches apart and confirm what wires inside go to what terminal. Mine looks exactly like the one in the post this but i believe the wiring inside is different.

Inside mine I have
A- Green wire that goes to a board that when switch is in neutral position it does nothing, but then the switch is in ANY position it connects through G
B- Brown wire that is live when RIGHT or Hazard position
C- Purple wire that is live for LEFT or Hazards
D - Orange wire also live for left or hazard
E- White wire that goes to a solo connection on the board - It connects and makes all wires connect for hazards.
F- Yellow wire that is live for Rights or Hazards
G- 2 wires inside- A blue that connect to A when switch is on AND a white wire that goes direct to the ground on the indicator bulb housing

Also my centre pin is not labelled, but inside are 2 wires, A black one that goes the back of the circuit board that connects with all BCDEF if lever is moved
AND A red wire that goes to the positive terminal on the indicator bulb.

What I am wondering is which of these 2 terminal goes to flasher (I assume centre and another)

Then which wires connect to the light switch for power in and also which wire is for the brake switch.

Thanks so much
RonD2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi davis,
Welcome to the forum and your 1st post!

Sorry, I don't use that switch so can't help by taking one apart to answer your questions.

Do you own a multi-meter?

It seems to me that if you suspect the wire color coding in yours has been messed with you could use the meter (set to measure ohms) and the wiring diagram to verify the connections through the switch.

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a good place to start is with a photo of the inside of your switch as you see it right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: