Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Bumper rope type and size
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bumper rope type and size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnissen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Bumper rope type and size Reply with quote

Thinking of wrapping a tow rope around the front bumper of our M38A1.
Type of rope and size suggestions are welcome.
mdainsd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWII Jeeps got outfitted with the tow rope, don't know about the M series Jeeps, although somewhere, somehow I imagine someone draped a tow rope on one of them...

1" diameter manila rope, both ends treated to an "eye", and around 28' long eye to eye. You can learn on Youtube how to do the eyes yourself, not hard.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car

Last edited by mdainsd on Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was only a common thing during WWII. EX MB owners can't seem to give it up when they move on to post war M series jeeps. In the early 40's 6 Volt electrical systems didn't do well in cold weather and 10 GI's pushing a jeep didn't work well in snow. Voila the instantly handy tow rope. If you spend a day reviewing period photos of M series (1950 - 1972) jeeps the tow rope is mysteriously missing.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1" manila rope, about 25 feet long with eye splice loops at each end. I grant that it's mostly for show but I have actually used it - for being towed myself.
I've had to tow my jeep a couple times - out of gas or something going wrong with the carburetor, before I had it properly rebuilt and added the electrical ignition on the distributor (not correct but works better).

However, something to remember and consider, anything left in the sun gets damaged, broken down, and degraded. Especially natural fiber products. I would only use the tow rope that's on there (now several years) in an extreme emergency or for short distances. A modern tow rope/strap is much better for that if needed and can be easily stored in the passenger tool box.

But it did come in handy.... Most people, I've found, can't see the difference between a Korean War-era and WWII era flat fender jeep anyway.....
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most people, I've found, can't see the difference between a Korean War-era and WWII era flat fender jeep anyway.

Very true but the posts on this site are made by folks that do know the difference. Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Wes! Very Happy
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
ChuckW

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tow rope goes in the tool box, not on the front bumper. I absolutely hate the look of a rope wrapped around the bumper.
Dixie Division MVC #002
1952 M38/M100
M274A2
1964 CJ3B
Devilnutz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're wanting to use for towing, I would suggest a modern tow strap from an offroad company. Stronger than Manila rope and they roll up to a compact size that fits in tool box. Also, the PO of my m38 had the rope around the bumper, it was a pain to remove. Not difficult but more time consuming than I'd want if in the mud, and you would be standing in the mud to un-coil.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loop mine over the ends of the front bumper. That's similar to how active off-roaders will keep a tow strap or snatch cable handy on a brush.
I completely agree that for real towing or vehicle recovery a modern off-road tow cable or tow strap is preferred. Just wanted to share that it was useful even though it's there for appearance and is largely anachronistic now.....
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
Devilnutz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whydahdvr, I totally agree with you. If you're in it for the looks and the rare chance of use, go for it. I just wasn't sure of OP intent for the rope, looks or use offroad. I've been stuck my share of times when I wheeled my wrangler and quick access is a life saver.
dpcd67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, hate the look, and there is no place to get stuck around here.
And true, no one here knows the difference in a WW2 Jeep and a brand new Wrangler. The top jeep at our air show is a 47 CJ2a with an MB dash welded in, M38 pioneer tool sides, and M151 wheels. Not kidding. Frankenstein, but everyone oohs and aahs over it. But hey, it has a rope on the bumper so it must be right.
M37B1 1963
Willys MB 1944
Ford GPW 1942
Dodge WC63 1943
Dodge Power Wagon WM300 1967
Plymouth Barracuda, 1973, 340 4 barrel
All ground up restored by me.
Lots of others.
jnissen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the rope was for looks mainly. My son wanted it on there even though I argued it wasn’t period correct. To each his own. 25 feet of 1” Manila did the trick. We weaved loops into the ends and may pass as acceptable
mdainsd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unexpected value of the tow rope is it makes a nice little cushion that keeps your painted bumper and unit markings (if applied) from being screwed up from clumsy parking, either on your behalf or others. Cool
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: