Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 passenger seat, left rear leg measurements
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 passenger seat, left rear leg measurements
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: M38 passenger seat, left rear leg measurements Reply with quote

I am trying to rebuild the leg on the left rear of my passenger seat. What is there is in sorry shape and looks like a bubba deal.
From the pictures I can find, it is u-shaped piece of flat iron that welds to the frame some where near the bend up at the rear of the seat and then also is welded forward of that. It appears that the angles are such that the horizontal piece of the leg that lays on the floor is parallel to the floor. So what I am looking for is
the length of the two legs from the bottom of the seat frame to the horizontal piece that contacts the floor and the length of the horizontal piece that lays on the floor. The distance between the two legs that weld to the seat frame would be nice.
I would also be interested in about where in relation to the curve on the frame that the rear leg welds to the frame. If possible a picture from the left side of the seat at floor level would be useful.

All info is appreciated
Ralph
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ralph,
The passenger seat frame is the same for the M38 and A1.

I bought a used one last year from a guy in Austin. It was in much better shape than the one I had. I will look at the legs, but if you are in no hurry you can have the old one.

Well crap. I just looked. The leg is bent in an S shape. I’ll see about some dims.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album372/seat_frame.jpg

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album372/seat_leg.sized.jpg

The angles appear to be the same. Hope this helps Ralph. Let me know if you need more.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ralph,
Brian beat me to it Very Happy but if it helps, here's what I have (also in my photo album). I did note that some of Brian's dimensions are slightly different from mine. I think if you fabricate the bracket it'll lay up on the seat frame pretty much where it needs to be so it sits flat on the floor correctly. Do you have that barrel bolt seat lock mod installed? If yes, it should also help locate where the flat foot should sit.

If there's anything else I can do, please give me a shout!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron!
Our dims are pretty close!

I think you are right. If Ralph fabs it up, then sits the foot in the barrel bolt and lowers the seat frame to where it sits on the foot, he can clamp it and/or stick it in place or finish it up on the workbench.

Final adjustment with the BFH, and it’s paint time!
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have one on the right side? My takeoff didn’t, but the takeoff from the A1 did.
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brian! Probably comes down to who got their eyeballs calibrated last? Laughing Between the two of us, I hope Ralph got what he needed.

<edited> Do I have a bracket like that on the right rear side? No, the seat cross tube rides on a small stub bracket on the fender well, just like the rear outboard drivers seat does.

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by RonD2 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian and Ron,
Thanks for the information and the diagrams and pictures. I think I can make it all work. I finished painting the jeep today, I had painted it a few years ago when I finished up the body but wasn't pleased with it so I sanded it down and did the exterior-twice. But it appears I got it this time.
Again thanks for the efforts. I post a picture when I get it done.
Ralph
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian & Ron,

Very nice work. I know Ralph appreciates the effort!

I have noticed in the past a version of the M38 Pass seat that does not have a complete triangle bracket. Bretto's M38 was like that in this photo. I did a little research and Bretto's seat could be a 45-49 CJ2A pass seat. Of the illustrations I have seen, with the exception of TM 9-1804A, The CJ3A & M38 both have the fully enclosed triangle support on the left aft corner. The M38A1 stock seat has a built into the tub rest for the right aft corner and there is no support welded to that side. The pass seat frame for the M38 & the M38A1 are the same part numbers WO# 673511 & ORD# 7697505.

I have asked Keith for any factory drawings he may have but it will be a while before he can return from Hawaii.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting Wes, The leg on my existing seat is similar to the picture you show. So I guess I have a CJ2A seat.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most obvious difference between a 2A seat and a 3A/M38 seat is the angle of the seat backs. The CJ3A introduced more belly room for the driver at the bottom of the steering wheel by tilting the top end of the rear wheel house angle further back and then tilting the top of the seat back further back on the CJ3A/M38. When the guys posted the triangular legs did you get curious?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Well, I went back and looked at my takeoff pass seat frame. First of all, no trace of OD anywhere, Its black, and blue, or something in between.

Anyway, it has the flat bar bent leg like Bretto's so I guess it's a CJ2A frame as well. Go figure.

Now, the seat frame taken off the A1 I bought, photo above, has the correct left side bracket, but also has a bracket bolted to the rear right side underframe to sit on the tub. It looks pretty well made, but still makes me wonder if Bubba installed it to stop the frame, as the wheelhouse front was so badly mangled the support would not make contact with the seat frame when in position.

Bubba.
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine might have been a cj2a or just a M38 seat that had a bubba repair that looked similar to a cj2a. When I stripped it, under the black undercoating I only foun different shades of OD and some red primer. The bottom layer is the lighter OD that was on all the M38 originally.
Eades

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting my seat is apparently the early version that Wes posted a picture of. Cool to know there are different versions.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

If you read my comments carefully you'll see that there is not an early version of the M38 pass seat. The one I thought might be an early version was actually a CJ2A seat.

Quote:
I have noticed in the past a version of the M38 Pass seat that does not have a complete triangle bracket. Bretto's M38 was like that in this photo. I did a little research and Bretto's seat could be a 45-49 CJ2A pass seat. Of the illustrations I have seen, with the exception of TM 9-1804A, The CJ3A & M38 both have the fully enclosed triangle support on the left aft corner. The M38A1 stock seat has a built into the tub rest for the right aft corner and there is no support welded to that side. The pass seat frame for the M38 & the M38A1 are the same part numbers WO# 673511 & ORD# 7697505.

Last edited by wesk on Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: