Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Pyrene Fire Extinguisher
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pyrene Fire Extinguisher
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RRossi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Pyrene Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

I bought an old Pyrene fire extinguisher.
Where would be the correct place to install on the M38?
ih8pepl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my research of installing a Pyrene in my M38 is that extinguishers were a "field mod" done by certain units and were not installed from the factory, nor were there any official guidelines for them. The only indication of where it was installed on certain M38s is an illustration in the M38 Manual. It shows it installed in between the seats on the edge of the toolbox similar to the below photo, which is where I installed it on mine.

I would think any of the GPW/MB mounting locations would be just as appropriate...
RRossi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pyrene Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

I have seen many photos using the fenders, others internally in several different locations. There seems to be no consensus.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have seen many photos using the fenders, others internally in several different locations. There seems to be no consensus.

Correct. There is no published correct location for the extinguisher in any available publications hence no consensus.

They were not installed by the Willys factory and Willys made no provision for their mounting.

The only mounting provisions for a round cylinder was the Decontamination Unit mountings at the front of the passenger seat.

Quote:
The only indication of where it was installed on certain M38s is an illustration in the M38 Manual. It shows it installed in between the seats on the edge of the toolbox similar to the below photo, which is where I installed it on mine.

I reviewed all 4 of the M38 specific manuals: TM 9-804, TM 9-8012, TM 9-1804A & TM 9-1804B and could not find any illustrations showing a fire extinguisher installed per your photo. Would you please tell us which manual you found this in?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ih8pepl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:

I reviewed all 4 of the M38 specific manuals: TM 9-804, TM 9-8012, TM 9-1804A & TM 9-1804B and could not find any illustrations showing a fire extinguisher installed per your photo. Would you please tell us which manual you found this in?

I don't recall where I first saw it... But the photo im referring to is also on page 89 of the Greenbook M38 reference guide. Possibly from a radio manual?

Never the less, the illustration shows a Pyrene extinguisher mounted on the toolbox. You can see the raised ridge bands around the cylinder - decontaminators have smooth cylinders and are much longer. Official enough for me - that's where I mounted my extinguisher.

mdainsd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like about the best place for it anyway. In the drivers kick panel, like the WW2 Jeeps, its hard to get it in and out. Fender doesn't make much sense, especially if you want it to be there when you come back from dinner...
If you are using that illustration as your guide, be sure to turn your extinguisher around. Cool
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ih8pepl said:

Quote:
I don't recall where I first saw it... But the photo im referring to is also on page 89 of the Greenbook M38 reference guide. Possibly from a radio manual?

Never the less, the illustration shows a Pyrene extinguisher mounted on the toolbox. You can see the raised ridge bands around the cylinder - decontaminators have smooth cylinders and are much longer. Official enough for me - that's where I mounted my extinguisher.

That illustration is an M38A1. It is from TM 9-8015-2 C-3 Page 2. It was an illustration for the installation in the field of the Radio Power Feed Kit and the illustration would have been photographed in the field and the jeep used in that photo just happened to have a fire extinguisher installed in field.

You can download that Change 3 from our "Downloads" page: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=158

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ih8pepl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:

That illustration is an M38A1. It is from TM 9-8015-2 C-3 Page 2. It was an illustration for the installation in the field of the Radio Power Feed Kit and the illustration would have been photographed in the field and the jeep used in that photo just happened to have a fire extinguisher installed in field.

You can download that Change 3 from our "Downloads" page: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=158

Good to know. I guess it still works as a reference to where someone can mount an extinguisher.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Wes,
I believe that illustration is from where you specified. But I also believe that is an M38. The bracket for the handbrake should be visible bolted to the left front corner of the tool box, just in front of the fire extinguisher.

Clearly there are no radio installation instructions in the TM9-8012, but perhaps they used an M38 install photo for the illustration below, knowing it would apply to both the M38 and A1.

The labeling is partially covering the area in question but Fig 56 page 128 from TM9 -8014 suggests that mounting plate should be visible.

In any case, it appears to be a decent place to mount the fire extinguisher if one is carrying it and the decontaminator.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further information is a companion illustration, fig 196 of the same view and fig 197 of an M38 cowl battery box, on page 57 in your Photo Galleries under M38 Electrical, and on the pages you specified in TM9-8015-2, C 3, pages 2 and 4.

Interesting that TM version is described as ...for...M38A1, and M38A1C, and 1/4 Ton, Front Line Ambulance M170.

The lowly M38 was nowhere mentioned. Of course this document was dated 21 September 1966.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 1966 the M38 was almost extinct. That document I listed was Change 3 to TM 9-8015-2 which is the M38A1 manual equivalent of the M38's TM 9-1804B. I suspect it was exerpted from a set of 1966 Kit instructions for the add-on radio power receptacle. I have never found a set of actual Radio Power Receptacle Kit instructions for either or both jeeps. These instructions added to the M38A1 TM 9-8015-2 are the only ones I have ever located. Yes, some of their illustrations draw on old M38 photos but the manual TM 9-8015-2 & C-3 to it is NOT for an M38. I have researched M38 manuals and cannot find any service sheets/bulletins that add the Radio Power Receptacle. However the M38 ORD 9 lists the receptacle as installed on early M38's thru MC37887 then again thru MC47771 which was Jan 52. This means the last 24,500 M38's did not come with the receptacle. This would leave the door open for a field service kit possibly for the M38. The M38A1 ORD 9 does not list the radio power receptacle at all. Also that C-3 to the A1's 8015-2 also included the 100 Amp Alternator installation. When I reviewed the M38's MWO ORD G740-W11 100Amp Alt Install there was no mention of the Radio Power Receptacle. I also reviewed the M38A1 MWO ORD G758-W6 100 amp alt installation and it also did not mention the radio pwer receptacle. I am still searching for an MWO ORD that adds this radio power receptacle to the M38 and the M38A1/M170.

This is what I am looking for:
MWO ORD G1-W105 8 MAY 57
1/4-ton, 4x4, utility truck M38, M38A1, M38A1C and front line ambulance truck M170: Installation of radio power feed kit.

ih8pepl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdainsd wrote:

If you are using that illustration as your guide, be sure to turn your extinguisher around. Cool

What was just a WEB pic I had handy to give the OP an idea...

Here's mine - it works too.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is shiny!

If you go into action you might want to knock the gleam off that!!

Very Happy
ih8pepl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x4M38 wrote:
Sure is shiny!

If you go into action you might want to knock the gleam off that!!

Very Happy

Whats the point of having a restored Jeep if you put a beat up & dirty extinguisher in it. I got bored this winter and had to restore the Pyrene Very Happy

Its polished to a mirror finish, but will naturally patina over time. But now that you mention it, it would make me a perfect beacon for aircraft. Shocked
reddog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pic of a Canadian M38 with the extinguisher on the drivers side fender but I can’t seem to post it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: