Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Front Bumper Markings from salvaged M38 bumper
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front Bumper Markings from salvaged M38 bumper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Front Bumper Markings from salvaged M38 bumper Reply with quote

Recently I was contacted by a person who had found an M38 frame on his property. I advertised it here and one of our members obtained it. He was gracious enough to let me have the front bumper as it was in better shape than mine.
The M38 belonged to the 49th Armored Div. (In 1949 the 36th Inf. Div. became the 49th until deactivated with the reactivation of the 36 Inf. Div in 2003.) The 49th and the 36 were/are Divisions of the Texas National Guard.

The bumper marking were still on it and are marked for the
"36th Brigade, 1st Battalion, 143 Regiment Armor. The 36th was a brigade in the 49th Arm. Div. The 36th was utilized to provide historical continuity with the 36 Inf. Div that had fought in WWI and WWII. There is no vehicle # on the left side of the bumper just the letters CS.

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays that would be civil support or something cute if not a bumper number but... maybe there was an M under that rust.... i could see a Command Sergeant Major wanting his jeep stenciled for his rank despite what some motor Sergeant would want to number it.

KI6EZA
1954 M38A1 (first civilain owner)
1965 M37B1 Commo shelter truck
MBT
GRC-122 TTY rig
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right. I couldn't find any other marking to go with that CS. I wonder if the jeep might have been stolen. The guy who found it owns property that was part of Camp Swift that reverted back to civilian control back in the 1950's or 60's. He found the frame and a lot of other metal type trash in areas that seem to have been bivouac/training areas on his acreage.
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bottom leg on the C looks longer Ralph. Any chance it’s a G?

Not that it matters.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it could be, or not. It's really any ones guess. It is like the armor symbol seemingly on top of the last number for the regiment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: