Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 wont start without starting fluid
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 wont start without starting fluid
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ih8pepl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Lee wrote:
wesk wrote:
... it is functioning and partially disolved.

Wes, I am missing something on the "partially disolved" statement. Are you concerned that the diaphragms are desolved by ethanol fuel?

This actually leads me to a question I was going to ask, Ive only used ethanol free 91 octane and it still has enough clean agent additives to do a number on the diaphragms. Could the octane level have anything to do with the startup issue? I never had any issue with it before. Its the only constant in the equation and the one thing I haven't tried swapping out.

Update: Just for giggles, new fuel pump and new carb diaphragms... still nothing. Still starts right up with starting fluid. I dont get it.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I corrected the dissolved typo.

Going back a bit to check missing replies. Are you using the correct thick insulation gasket with the metal “V” gadget in the middle?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks using the propane enrichment process?

Have you performed a leak down test of the cylinders?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you preload the diaphragm spring on installation?
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ih8pepl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while so I thought I would do an update...

I just skipped to the back of the technical manual and followed the instructions on proper disposal of the Jeep. Problem solved.

Ok im not there yet... I verified my valve clearances, did a leak down test, checked my timing, points gap, and all vacuum lines. Rebuilt the carb with all new parts and had the fuel pump rebuilt (slight oil seep).

Jeep will not start on its own... unless the crossover tube is removed or at least disconnected from one end. Aside from a slightly higher idle from the tube being removed it runs better than ever - drove it around the block a few times with no issues.

Still scratching my head on this...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a chance you have the air/oil cleaner overfilled??? Thus heavily restricting air flow to the carb.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ih8pepl wrote:
I just skipped to the back of the technical manual and followed the instructions on proper disposal of the Jeep. Problem solved.

Hilarious! Me thinks it's very good to have a sense of humor in this hobby and forum! Shot beverage out my nose with that one --- thanks for the laugh!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

ih8pepl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read about overfilled oil baths on a tractor forum with a tractor that had the same issue the M38 is having.

A week ago, I had the oil bath filled to the fill line... cleaned the filter element out with kerosene and refilled it with conventional 10w30. I just took out half of the oil - no change. For giggles I will fill it 1/4 of capacity tomorrow and see if that changes anything.

RonD2 wrote:
ih8pepl wrote:

Hilarious! Me thinks it's very good to have a sense of humor in this hobby and forum! Shot beverage out my nose with that one --- thanks for the laugh!

Ive owned multiple generations of Jeeps - every one has been quirky as can be. When they work you love them, when they dont you want to take a cutting torch to them...

Id rather blow a piston through the side of the engine than deal with elusive annoying problems like this starting issue. Im just rolling with the punches.
Scott21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the intake manifold flush with no leaks?

1952 M38 Photos at: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Scott21&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: