Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

I have a few problems with my m38

1) I think my fuel pump needs to be rebuilt, gas in the oil where is the best place to get it rebuilt?
2) Was running great had it out idleing for a minute, it died now will only stay running with choke, and has no power.
3) When it gets warm collant comes out the overflow like a river, I am thinking I need a new cap but would like other Ideas.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Try to give us a little background to help us help you. You have been thru several jeeps so we're not sure which one this one is.

1-Gas in oil probably fuel pump. Send your to Then & Now or get an exchange from John Bizal at Midwest military.

2-Must leave choke closed to keep her running. Could be another symptom of the pump issue. But could aslo be low fuel level in the bowl caused by float set too low or stuck up. Or trash in valve seat. Or metering rod vacuum diaphram bad.

3-A bad cap will not dump coolant out the overflow unless the system was overfilled. Sounds more like a plugged block or radiator or a stuck thermostat. Leave the cap off and run it. Does the coolant appear to flow slow at idle and fast at higher RPMs? Are there any bubbles in the coolant at the radiator neck?

It helps to know the little things before we offer a lot of misdirected help.

Is this engine a fresh rebuild and just installed? Or is it the original and ran fine last fall but now is acting up. Or is it an old motor that has been sitting for years?

Have you done a compression check? Is the carb original to the engine and ran ok till recently or is it a fresh carb or an old carb that you just put on the engine. If the engine had been hard to start and flooded several times this would send gas to the oil sump.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I know I am bad, I have been through 3 m38s in about 5 years. However I think I may finish this one.

Engine is rebuilt. Was running well before, I have not put a timming light on it yet need to soon. Carb is orginal rebuilt with the kit from midwest mil. I am starting to think it is a fuel problem. I need to get the pump rebuilt so I can see if it is something else. I did check my cap for my raditor it is looks to be shot. Where can I get one? Napa cant get it, John has them NOS for $20 but I really dont want to spend that much on a Cap.

It was running well. I took it for a spin around the parking lot, was back firing a little towards the end, stopped, left if running, showed my mother that the radio she bought me was working (PRC 10 with AM 598U), went to drive it again and as I was sitting down the rpm's started to drop, before I could save it the engine stalled. Went to restart and it wouldnt. Finally got it to restart with full choke but had no power and wouldnt stay running with out the skinny pedal all the way down.

On a side note I need to get you the survay info on this jeep at some point. I did it for my first jeep but not for this one. The 2nd m38 and the 1st one became one and now Rick L has it.
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I get a hold of then and now? they did rebuild one pump for me on the last jeep and did a great job at a great price.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
You can run the engine without the fuel pump. Just plumb a container direct to the carb and have it hanging about 2 feet higher than the carb. I keep one of those plastic one gallon gas cans with a boat type feed hose and squeeze bubble hooked up to it. You insert a bulkhead nipple in a hole on the side of the jug close to the bottom and within wrench reach of the pour spout hole. You add fuel resistant sealant to the hole and nipple. Put the washers and nut on and tighten. When it cures add the necessary plumbing and a small brass shutoff valve is nice to have. The plastic gas can has a handle to hang it with and a seperate vent plu to allow the gas to flow. The squeeze bulb gets the gas moving and allows you to fill the bowl right away.

These engine will run on a cool day for hours without a cap. This would be the time to concentrate on getting her running with the gas can so you can determine the condition of the coolant system and it's pump, thermostat and radiator.

Then and Now are at: http://www.then-now.com/The_Cellar/cellar.htm

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes for the help. however my time to work on the jeep for now it Up. I will have to wait a month or two before I am able to work on it again. I maybe able to get the fuel pump off so I can send it to get rebuilt
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the pump off. All the lines where dry, no gass in them, pump only had a couple of small drops that came out. Where the arm goes into the pump it is very wet and smells of gas. I will get it sent out to then and now and get it rebuilt.

Before someone says did you check to make sure it has gas, Yes I did and the tank is about 1/4 full.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Don't get discouraged. You are making progress.

I have not worked on mine for 6 weeks and I need to get out there today.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you suck on the line from the tank to insure it's not plugged up or the filter may be plugged up. Also if you have any pin holes (usually caused by corrosion) in the line between the pump and the tank the pump will suck air in through the holes and it will loose it's prime from the tank. This includes pinholes in the pickup tube inside the tank. I have had a full tank work fine then when I hit a half or quarter the fuel quit feeding because the rusted pickup tube had holes in it at or above that fuel level in the tank. The only positive way to check is to open the feed line adaptor on top of the tank so you can access the end of the tube then pressurize the tube along it's entire length between the pump fitting and the pickup opening. at the filter. Or do the line from the tank to the pump seperate and then the short tube in the filter assembly seperate.

Bill_F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lines are all new. I am going to get the pump rebuilt and go for there. I needs it anyways.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the filter line new?

Have you been inside the tank?

With new or old lines a loose fitting will suck just as much air as a pin hole!

Bill_F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did check things over when I first got this jeep but that was a while ago. I might not hurt to check again. I will go throught the fuel system when I get my pump back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: