Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - No fat blue spark at coil
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No fat blue spark at coil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cylinder compression readings you provided indicated a serious issue with the 2 low reading cylinders. This issue should be investigated because there is the possibility this is causing your hard starting. To determine if it is requires a visual inspection of the cylinders, pistons and rings. It is best to follow thru on all findings during your troubleshooting as you find them and not leave several findings on the side till later.

There are at least a dozen possible causes for your hard starting. Troubleshooting will expose suspects but unless you investigate each of those suspects as you find them it is like leaving your back door open.

For example you determined you did not have a fat blue spark. You bought a new coil and replaced a wire & condenser. The engine was still hard to start but once warmed up it ran fine. This tells me that the spark alone is not the source of the hard starting. Even though you still seem to have a weak spark from your description.

This type of troubleshooting results in multiple part rebuilds and replacements without ever knowing for sure which combination actually solved the problem.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your patience. I was hopeful it was an ignition problem. I've had CJs with low compression, but they always started. My previous experience with old Jeep engines is they run when technically worn out. This is the first Jeep I could not get started without a fight.
Is the next step to have an engine expert open up the F-134 to inspect/measure cylinder wear?
A local engine shop suggested a "top end soak" with ACDelco 10-3015 Top Engine Cleaner and Decarbonizer. Will be my last chance to free up stuck rings (if that is the problem) and possibly improve compression.
Just afraid I may never get it started again.
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Wes was pretty clear about it.....it's time to take it apart. No amount of ACDelco 10-3015 Top Engine Cleaner and Decarbonizer is going to fix broken or worn rings.

Unless I missed it, I noticed you haven't taken the compression and leak down tests again since you soaked them with PB Blaster and ATF. If you run those tests one more time and get the same results, do you think using the ACDelco product will fix anything? Not.

If the test results show some improvement, maybe consider using the ACDelco Decarbonizer? But when the tests show the same problem, Wes will say "I told you so!" and it's time to take it apart.

The question is: do you feel lucky?

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not feeling lucky.
Now beyond my skill level and tools.
Thanks to all that helped.
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, one day my Go-Devil took me past my skill level in the blink of an eye. Not a good feeling, but I'm learning, and was fortunate to find a great machine shop in the neighborhood. There's light at the end of the tunnel for me. I never figured that tear-down and rebuilding a flathead motor would ever be on my bucket list Laughing.

I hope you find a great old school machine shop that knows these old motors. Keep us posted once in awhile! Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've had CJs with low compression, but they always started.
I am more concerned with the imbalance of cylinder performance. As a rule any old mogas engine will run ok with 80 to 90 compressions balance on all cylinders. Those with a large margin between cylinders tend to knock or run rough and beat themselves to death.

Find a good shop that has a good background in Willys F-134's. I suggested a few test questions you can use when interviewing shop managers. I believe I suggested a while back that you join the local MV club. The MMVC based in Waukesha. Any of their members can get you pointed towards a quality shop with Willys background.

WI - MIDWEST MILITARY VEHICLE ASSOCIATION http://www.mmva.us/
Ken Spencer- President City: Waukesha MVPA#: 37264 414-839-9966 kent@wi.rr.com
Daryl Lehman- Newsletter Editor City: Cascade MVPA#: 18771 920-528-8640 daryl_lehman@hotmail.com
CLUB MEETING INFORMATION
Quarterly, contact for details. members get news flyers via eamil.

Join the national MVPA
https://www.facebook.com/MilitaryVehiclePreservationAssociation/

https://www.mvpa.org/?
fbclid=IwAR0CrJPTaoREGsvs0GkuwaxyInRuGk95GlaXRC43OC__xrZgIJgg1rI8_Vk

The Red Bull MVCA is another good club in Minneapolis.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I pulled the motor I’d sure try everything available before that.

You said,” 6. The PO has this timed at #4 cylinder, with #4 spark plug at 5:00 o'clock position on distributor (where #1 should be) so oil pump not clocked correctly. However, I don't believe this is my starting problem and can be changed at some point. ”

I’d reclock the oil pump and distributor, retime per factory. It can’t hurt, and beats pulling the motor.

Then do that post-soak compression test.

It can’t hurt. Just my two cents.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Before I pulled the motor I’d sure try everything available before that.

4x4M38: I would agree if both you and jeepdaddyRC were both thoroughly versed in what needs to be done and have access to adequate tooling.

JeepdaddyRC has already told us he is too short on tools and skills to even remove the head.

JeepdaddyRC: You still do not have to pull the engine to proceed. You can tow or trailer the jeep to a qualified shop which Madison WI has dozens of or as I mentioned above secure local help from the local MV Club.

JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly willing and able to pull the head. I've removed CJ heads before (258 6 cyl). My challenge is no ability to bore or repair damaged cylinder walls.
Wouldn't you know it? I've talked to all the machine shops recommended by local MV club - thanks for contacts Wes. Unfortunately all the machine shops are short staffed (due to covid) and swamped with spring agriculture/farm work. It will be months before they can take it.
So I tried starting it again today. It cranks and cranks with no kick at all, nothing. After several attempts with no kick, I sprayed carb cleaner in carb throat with choke open and throttle open. It finally kicked over. After a few attempts with the carb cleaner, it started.
Let it warm up for 10 min. Engine ran fine, no smoke. Then shut it down. Unable to restart. No kick at all. Nothing. Did not re-try the carb cleaner because engine was hot.
Pulled spark plugs and confirmed spark at all plugs (my spark at plugs is a bright white).
Then I removed the YS-950S carb top to confirm there was fuel in the bowl. Fuel was present in carb bowl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: