Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Carter YS 950S, no check ball or weight
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carter YS 950S, no check ball or weight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Carter YS 950S, no check ball or weight Reply with quote

Rebuilding a Carter YS 950S. There was no check ball or weight when disassembled. It did not fall out, I was looking for them. What would the carb symptoms be without these?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the engine running the manifold suction would draw extra gas thru the open discharge port all the time.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it effect starting?
Any impact on fuel from accelerator pump during cranking with choke closed?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be rich during start and very possibly lean at low manifold pressure/Higher RPM.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also discovered the metering rod spring (part labeled BB on diagram below) is missing from this carb.
How would that impact carb performance?

RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me JeepDaddy, but do you suppose anybody ever removed those pieces out of a carb just to see how it might act? I could be wrong (often am) but doubt it this time. Bottom line --- obviously the carb ain't right.

I surely understand why you ask, and why you want to know if replacing those pieces might fix your hard starting problem --- but maybe it's time to just get on with it and see for yourself? My bet is a properly rebuilt carb will certainly help. And it sure can't hurt (except your wallet). Got to be done one way or another anyway, right?

Don't expect that rebuilding the carb will fix the low compression on #3 and 4 though.....

Reading your two posts about missing pieces, I had to laugh (no offense), thinking it might be easier for you to start listing the parts it does have rather than the parts that are missing? The list might be shorter. Laughing

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update for those that have followed my adventure.
The Carter YS950S carb has been disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt using TM 9-1826A..
During disassembly I discovered it was missing parts - the check ball and weight and the metering rod diaphragm spring. The accelerator pump and metering rod diaphragms were old, no longer pliable and in rough shape.
I used a rebuild kit was from Midwest Military (same as AJP) - a very complete kit for a comprehensive rebuild.
It runs.
Starting requires full choke and a little throttle.
Mixture screw has been adjusted.
It does require choke for awhile, maybe a vacuum leak?
Or is this the nature of the YS950S?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It does require choke for awhile, maybe a vacuum leak?
Or is this the nature of the YS950S?

All YS carbs require choking on initial start. Remember the engine is not idling yet and that accelerator pump diaphragm requires a good deal of vacuum to operate. In your case you are already at a loss for adequate vacuum because of your two low compression cylinders which cannot keep up.

JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noted the 1952 TM 9-804A M38A1 starting procedures p. 24, par. 40 c) "pull the throttle control out approximately three-quarters to one inch"
The revised 1955 TM 9-8014 eliminated mention of pulling out the throttle control as part of the starting procedures.
Interesting change, I wonder why?
Wouldn't the vacuum operated accelerator pump benefit from an open throttle and closed choke to maximize vacuum in the carb bore, thereby getting your best shot of gas while cranking?
cabinfever

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago I also rebuilt the YS950 carb on my F134. Like you, there was no check ball or weight. My rebuild kit was also purchased from MM. When I rebuilt the carb, I used the weight and check ball from the rebuild kit. Just so you know, I am not sure that I needed to rebuild the carb, I was having no issues, but did it anyhow.

What differences did I notice before and after the rebuild (ie, before and after having the check ball and weight installed in the carb)?

Not much difference. I would say, however, at a cold start, it seems to be easier to flood the engine now compared to before. I have always cold started with the choke pulled all the way out. Now, I have to be very quick to push the choke in after the first fire.
Steve Stark - 1955 M38A1 MD #85388

Member - MVPA #35153
Member - Red Bull Historic Military Vehicle Association
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: