Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 49 M38?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

49 M38?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: 49 M38? Reply with quote

Greatings,

This is my first post here. I have a "new to me" M38 which which is titled as a '49 CJ-3A. It has the large fuel filler, oversized oil filter and single wind shield so I do believe it to be an M38, but all literature I see shows the first year to be 1950...

The data plate says: MC 34211.Any one know which year this machine really is?

Thanks in advanceI

Will
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We like photos!
Hi Will,
The CJ3A and M38 used the same basic windshield frame. The differences were in what was bolted on them. For instance, the CJ used a vent that opened whereas the M38 had a cover that was bolted shut. More differences, but again the basic frame was identical.

MC xxxxx on the data plate indicates an M38, which began production in 1950. Is your engine serial still visible?

There are all kinds of differences between the CJ and M38, yet many similarities. Photos can help us determine the actual base vehicle.

Things like the dash plate could have been swapped between vehicles as well.

There was another plate other wheelhouse front behind the passenger seat. Is yours still there?

Take care,
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC34211 is a Sep 1951 M38. Willys did not make any attempt at matching chassis/body serials to engine serials. There is no current database that allows guessing DOM for a M38 based on an engine serial.

This board is for folks to list continuing progress on their projects. If that is your intent then the routine is to add to this particular post each time you want to show recent progress on your project. That way this is your thread throughout your projects build period.

If this post is to only ask the serial question then it would be better posted to the Technical Knowledge Board.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I see why there is not much participation here.

My intent was to find out more about my M38.

I am also in the middle of a four wheel disc brake conversion (with help from another website...) and am about to start a Kabota engine swap...

I just wanted to know if my paperwork on the Jeep was correct in that it was a "49 M38.

It is definatly an M38... however I will go back to the other web board.

Salute!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a post in this section, "Jeep Project Threads" one most continue to post project progress notes. You have not posted any progress. I also mentioned above the Year of your M38 based on the chassis serial number is 1951. The two posted replies to your original querry fully answered your requested information. Your jeep cannot be 1949 M38 because they first started production in September 1950. There is activity here on this site when a post is made. There have been hundreds of posts since your post in March 2021. If you wish to see interaction then you must post something or reply to someone elses posted topic.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree photos help a lot. Data tags are easily swapped around but some of the smaller details can help confirm a SEP 1951 M38.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: