Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - m38a1 steering knuckles
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

m38a1 steering knuckles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crvbs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: m38a1 steering knuckles Reply with quote

My 53 m38a1 tie rods and steering knuckles have give out. Have a donor that has a axle and tie rod that seem tight. Would it be easier to swap axles and brakes or tear down existing axle and replace the bearing on the knuckles. This is a Hunting rig.
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi crvbs (whatever that means) and welcome!

Without photos, your words "give out", "seem tight", and "easier" are about a mile wide and an inch deep to me. In other words --- meaningless. Not enough information. Why not just flip a coin and bolt up the best parts from what you have? Does working 4 wheel drive matter or not?

How much jeep or mechanic experience do you have? Do you have any of the tech manuals to study what you're asking about or does that matter? Manuals are free download here by the way.

Post some good photos if you can and more specific questions. Plenty of expertise here that want to help, given enough information. You're too far away where ever you are for anybody to see what you're asking about. I can't anyway.

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is more important that you accomplish a repair that will last many years instead of trying to save a buck and use old parts from a salvage unit. Making Half-Assed repairs now usually results in a return to the exact same task in a very short period of time.

The tie rods are a simple remove and replace with new parts. The knuckles require a bit more effort and time but it is worth every minute and every penny.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
crvbs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron think rv and boat storage on the handle. Quicker may have been a better word . I need to get it going fairly quickly as hunting season starts in october. What i've looked at it seems the knuckles are a bench job, not something replaced while the axle on the jeep. I'm think i going do the swap and buy myself some time. That way I can do the axle right and swap it back this spring. The jeep been in the family since 68 and it getting to need a few things.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the service manual carefully there is nothing in there about having to remove the axle from the jeep for either reasonably simple task. The Tie Rod and Knuckle job takes the same amount of time as an axle change. My point above is you will always save time & money by doing it right the first time.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
idiocrates

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: sounds familiar Reply with quote

I started my little project with the simple task of replacing the front springs on an M38A1...which led to replacing the shackle "U" hangers on both front springs.....which led to replacing worn out steering linkage all the way from the wheel hubs up to and including the steering gear box.....which led to replacement of the front wheel bearings and seals....which led to replacing both top and bottom king pins, bearings and seals.....which led to fixing the previous owners attempt at installing lock-out hubs.....which with the front axle out led to a clear view of bottom of the radiator which led to its removal for cleaning and core replacement......see where this is going? At this point I decided I was not going to keep looking at the oil-coated grimy engine any longer and so pulled it out and sent it off to the shop for a complete overhaul.....naturally, with the motor out rebuilding of the clutch, throw-out bearing, transmission and transfer case was a no-brainer.....then new universal joints....overhaul of the read axle including ring gear, pinion, spider gears and axle bearings....new brakes shoes, wheel cylinders. brake lines and master cylinder....new pedal cross shaft....and THEN i started in on the body and frame. I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I've had during all this.....and it all started with the old "hunting" jeep. Mr. Knettles is correct.....do it right or do it over....just be careful you don't get carried away with good intentions! With that....I wish you all the luck in the world with your jeep.

'?? - M38A-1
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Most excellent wisdom right there. ^^^

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

crvbs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When ahead and tore it down . Not really much to it so far. Waiting on bearings, tie rods and such. . Be here next week. Got some poppet and springs .for the transfer case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: