Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Finding Top dead Centre
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding Top dead Centre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Finding Top dead Centre Reply with quote

Hi, just been trying to check the timing on my M38 and came across the old problem of the L head spark plug hole is not above the piston. I can get it close but not spot on. Some say they use a Wiggler wire which will show when the piston reaches the top. Does any body have a photo of this or measurements to make one as I would not want to get anything stuck inside !!
RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Horse,
In all the posts I've seen in this forum I've never seen a photo or measurements for the infamous "wiggler".

Wes does a nice job describing it, and how to use it, in a handful of posts if you use the search button above on the word "wiggler".

I've never tried it myself, but from how it's described, I think I'd use a piece of solid copper wire about 6-8 inches long. And be very careful to remove it (or have a hand on it) every time the piston is more than an inch from the top.

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

horse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron, thanks for the reply I will search as you said. The other way I was going to attach a ballon fixed into the front spark plug hole to find the compression stroke then watch it expand and contract ,then the distance between the two should be TDC, if you see what I mean.
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balloon is an interesting idea. Somewhat like a leak-down test? Do you think the piston would hold and move enough air in enough time to make a large enough change in the balloon to see it? Valves and rings would have to be in perfect condition and adjustment?

How about a graduated pipette with colored water?

Would an air pressure gauge work? I'd think it would need to be a lot more sensitive than a compression test gauge. Measure a few pounds instead of 100.

--- Enzo Ferrari

horse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Yes I have seen a description of putting a clear tube down into the sealed spark plug hole and the other end ito a jar of water. When it bubbles it is on compression and then going down it would start to suck the water. I have got a compression gauge on order so will see if you can see a noticeable difference.
I would just like an unit to show what is happening with the piston.
Wes did post using a Degree Wheel which I am still finding out about.
Will let you know how I get on at the weekend with the different methods.
Horse
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought that a slim enough fiber optic camera with an LED on the end would allow it to be seen. They get expensive the smaller they are.

Maybe a lot of work, but drop the oil pan and look at the piston from the other end?

--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The assumption that you can find true top dead center by dividing the time piston spends around top in half is a NO. My basic rule of thumb is to make darn sure I have an accurate ignition timing mark setup on every engine I assemble BEFORE I put the head on. As for all the tricks and gadgets to feel the piston coming up on the compression stroke the only trick is to wet your thumb, press it tightly on the spark plug hole and rotate the crank in it's normal direction until you feel the pressure start building under your thumb. Then mount your dial indicator so it can read piston travel and measure for TDC. If the the plug hole is not above the piston then make a wiggler from metal rod and bend as needed and attach it firmly to your dial indicator.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
horse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes for the information.
I did not rebuild the engine the Greek army did it a while ago so I have only their marks to go on and wanted to check if they are accurate or not.
Have you a picture of the wriggler and I will have a go at making one.

Ron thanks for the ideas. I have just done the sump gasket a few months ago so that is not an option. I do have a small camera but it just gave me a shot of the valve top.

See how I get on, thanks Horse.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on the attachment provisions of your dial indicator.

Usually just a reasonably hard object wedged between the head and the top of the piston will work as what we call a "piston stop". Then you can accurately move the piston up to the stop on compression until it physically hits the stop then mark the pulley or timing cover then rotate it 360 backwards until the piston hits the stop again and mark the pulley. Halfway between these two marks is the real TDC. Hint: Some folks use a very large plastic wire tie the 12" size for their adapted piston stop using the large tip inside the bore.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
horse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea with the plastic tie, I happen to have one of those.
I do not have a dial indicator so thanks for explaining how I should use the tie method. Roll on the weekend. Thanks Horse.
horse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, also found your explanation with photos back in Jan 14 titled TDC timing mark for M38A1 which is the same principle. Seek and you shall find, with a little help.
Horse.
horse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow up after checking the timing using the thumb over the spark plug hole and using a pen to mark the front cover and pulley, difficult with the radiator in place, I am pleased to say that part of the timing is spot on. I did not use the plastic tie but bent wire instead sort of S shape.
I took a lot of time to check and set the points gap also using Wes paper method as the points just start to open when you turn the disi by hand. I found a lot easer to see with the rotor off. Nearly forgot to put it back on!
She started very smooth no put putting which I have been trying to get rid of in ages. Then onto the timing light but unfortunately my light has stopped working so no full end result.
While the engine was warm reset the carburettor with the vac gauge. All I can say she is running very well at idle will see what happens with the timing light and further up the rev range. Spending time on these items makes a big difference so thanks to all for your help. Next instalment next weekend hopefully. Horse.
horse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So new timing light arrived ready for Saturday morning. The instructions on this one said to use a separate battery with 24V systems. I found out too late for my original one and wired it up to the front engine battery but did not put the earth onto the engine instead onto the negative of the battery. Somebody could tell me the difference but I know it eventually damages the light. Maybe earth onto the engine is 12V and onto the negative post is 24V ?

The static timing was nearly spot on but set the timing light onto 8 degrees BTDC to take advantage for modern fuels , she is running well.
I then reset the carb with a vacuum gauge with the revs as close as I could get to 600RPM with a laser off the front pully.

I thought last time I did this I had got it right but did not fully understand the static timing or proper use of the timing light which I do now. The advance you can see on the light when you rev the engine , it goes so far and stops which I understand is correct. Disi weights working well.

Went for a good run and pleased with the results. Hot start was instant and cold start the same this morning using the choke. Never had anything to do with points etc prior to M38 so pleased with the results, I can see other vehicles would be a bit easier to start on,thanks for the help. Horse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: