Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Brake back plate
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Brake back plate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: M38 Brake back plate Reply with quote

Hi all,
after 20 years (ish) one of my rear wheel oil seals failed (CR 13710) so it's pull the taper half sfatft time and fit some new brakes shoes etc.

This M38 has a bit of history, rebuilt in Korea in 1955 then shipped to Greece as a Miliatry Aid Program vehicle. I got it direct from a Greek Military yard, so no civvy ownership.

When I did the brakes 20 ish years ago I just went to my shed and used NOS US surplus stuff I had lying around and didn't spot it didn't have MB type brakes.

I now find it has M38/A1 brake back plate and brake shoes, was this a upgrade of some sort?

How do you tell a A1 rear axle from a MC rear axel just by looking at them?

I'm not sure what to look for for the fully floating A1 type axel, and don't have any A1 literature on the shelf,
Thanks, Dave.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

All the A1 literature you could ever need is already on this web site's download pages. They are all free in PDF format.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=60

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=63

No this was not a common upgrade. No telling what the Greeks did when they ran out of MB brake parts.

If you really have A1 brakes then you'll need the A1 manuals to do a proper repair. If it turns out they are M38 axles/brakes simply download all the free M38 manuals.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thankds Wes,
I've been Googling images of axels till I'm quite confused. My TM 9-236 tells me the A1 axel is fully foalting but the MC axel is semi floating but when I look at explodeed images I can't see any difference.

I'm wondering if this has had an A1 axel fitted and I've ben trying to find info that shows the difference. I guess there must be different types of 44 axel?

Thanks, Dave.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full floater rear axles used in WWII jeeps had the axle with an exposed flange that bolted to the hub. The later Model 44's were non-full floater and used a tapered axle shaft that engaged to the hub with a tapered key slot. The front axles remained full floaters thruout all the Willys/Kaiser M series jeeps.

Post photos of the outboard end of your rear axle and the backing plate.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes,
I think there's a misprint in my TM 9-236.
I'll post some pics tomorrow, if the A1 and M38 rear axels are interchangable I'd bet it's simply had an A1 axel fitted at some point.
all the best,
Dave.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if the A1 and M38 rear axels are interchangable

Only in the sense That a complete axle/housing/brake assembly can be interchanged. Most of the individual brake parts are somewhat different. If you peruse the M38 & M38A1 parts and drive train manuals you will see the differences. Also the M38A1 had available an optional limited-slip axle assembly used in USMC versions.

In this illustration of rear axle assemblies the left is the WWII jeep full floating rear axle (Spicer 23-2) and the right is the post WWII Semi-floating rear axle (Spicer 44-2)

Here you can see differences between M38 & M38A1 spicer 44-2 brakes.

davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes, it seems to be taking ages to process the picture I'm trying to uplaod.
From the digrams you posted above it's the botom diagram I have on my M38.
Thanks, Dave.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up trying to load a picture, but it's the bottom diagram so it looks like this M38 was rebuilt with M38/A1 axels front and back by the Military Aid Program. Guess they just had to knock out numbers.
Bart Nan Der Veen did a billiant article on these jeeps back in the 90s in Wheels and Track.
Wish I still had it.
All the best,
Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: