Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1952 m-38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1952 m-38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1948willyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: 1952 m-38 Reply with quote

Anyone know if the pintle on this model is supposed to have eyes mounted or welded on for the safety chains to hook to? My m-416 trailer safety chains seem to be a bit to short when hooked to the lifting eyes mounted on each side? Maybe they have been shortened at sometime? It appears that the passenger side chain hook would also interfere with the end of the muffler also when hooked to the lifting eye even if the chain was longer? Maybe the pintle has been changed at some point also? I know that the trailer download does show the chains hooked to the lifting eyes though. Maybe the muffler is mounted a little bit off from where it should be too. It was supposed to be an m-38 muffler though.

Thanks
Mike_B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORD 9 SNL (1955) section 1503 calls for (4) 1/2-20 bolts for the Pintle Assembly, no mention of eye bolts that I can find.

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi willyman,
My first thought is that the M416 is the trailer for the M151 and maybe the M38A1, but who knows for sure? Maybe it was used behind a M38 in Army service. The M100 trailer is most associated to the M38.

I'm pretty sure that the pintle hitch on a M38 has 4 nuts and bolts (nothing welded). See the ORD9. There's plenty of posts in this forum if you search "pintle" that say the Army got rid of the chains on the M100 trailer, eliminating any point to hook them up.

You could install two WW2 style eyelet bolts in the lower two bolt holes of the M38 pintle, or you could use one of the M151 style chain plates behind it.

Either way, you may need to adjust the chain length on your M416. If you hook them to the outboard tie-downs behind the bumperettes you might rip something out if you take too sharp a corner.

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone know if the pintle on this model is supposed to have eyes mounted or welded on for the safety chains to hook to?

NO

Quote:
My m-416 trailer safety chains seem to be a bit to short when hooked to the lifting eyes mounted on each side? Maybe they have been shortened at sometime?

Probably are shorter than M100 chains. The simple fix is to buy a safety chain plate as used on the M151 and install it behind the pintle assy.

Here's a link to one for $14
https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/7959/M151-183-Pintle-Hook-Safety-Chain-Plate-M151-MUTT-Jeep

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Xamon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the solution as mounted on the m38cdn.

[img]http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album210&id=IMG_0420&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

and for some reason the photo thing seems to not be working for me today.
You can check my gallery in my sifgnature, page 4.
1948willyman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: m-38 Reply with quote

Thanks for the input! I believe I will go the eastern surplus route and order one of those. I think that option would work the best for me.I may try to locate a M-100 Trailer one of these days,But for now,Just pulling the 416 will work for me.
RonD2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi willyman,
If you're interested, I have a NOS chain plate that I'd sell for $20 plus postage. It's in better shape than the take-off's that Eastern is advertising.

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

1948willyman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: plate Reply with quote

I will keep that in mind. My neighbor who works on a lot of old vehicles said he was sure he had one. Finding it would be a problem. I am interested and will let you know if he can not find it.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: