Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Service Only ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Only ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Service Only ??? Reply with quote

Hello,

in Ord 9 G740 1955 the words "For Service Only" or "For Service Use part #..."
are sometime used after a part description.

Can someone explain that terminology please. What do they mean by "service"?

Thank you

full restoration in progress
1952 M38 MC60228
RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pierre,
If you were to make a guess, what do you think it means?

I bet you're right. Very Happy

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, the very first sentence of the September 1955 ORD9 (paragraph 1 on page 2) says:

1. GENERAL. a. This supply manual is an illustrated list of all service parts of the M38 1/4 ton 4x4 utility truck arranged according to standard government grouping.

In my words, it's not a list of every last part used by the factory to construct it.
For example, you won't find welding rods listed. Or the black paint used on the dash data plates.
It's a list of parts used by servicemen to maintain and keep it in service and performing the job it was designed to perform while it remains in service, at a level the manuals and their school training supports.

Why do some parts have that note and not others, or all of them? Good question.
I think maybe it's to draw attention to parts that supersede another part, or maybe due to supply issues, product improvement, design changes, or other reasons only the Army knows.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those ORD's list two basic type of parts. Production parts and "Fpr service only" parts. In most instances when you see two or more part numbers listed for the same part with one or more tagged "For Service Only" you will find that the Army did not procure the production part but instead elected to use another part numbered part.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
...you will find that the Army did not procure the production part but instead elected to use another part numbered part.

Hi Wes,
If the Army elected to use (and procure and stock) another part numbered part --- why would they continue to list production parts they didn't intend to be used?

Maybe because they were stocked or available for a limited time? Or to connect the lineage between part number revisions (by serial number or production date or lot number)?

In my experience with military manuals, I didn't find parts listed that I couldn't use. If it was listed (and was available in the supply system) then I could use it.
Usually when parts weren't available in the supply system they were deleted from the parts listing. We used to get pen change orders all the time until it came out in print.

--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to mix up federal stock listings with manufacturers parts list numbers. Most manufacturer's parts manual do not list federal stock numbers or the newer National stock numbers. In the Air force from 1966 thru 1990 I requested the part number listed in the Boeing parts list IE TO 1B-52G-4 (5 volumes) and called it into base supply. They converted that # to the FSN or NSN. When I overlooked a note "For service only" calling in a part number supply usually called back and said not procurable. And before you ask, yes we did often order by FSN when it was quicker and more convenient. Try to also keep in mind when the military assigned a FSN or NSN to a manufacturer's part number the military had already farmed that parts procurement out to several other manufactures usually for pricing advantage. Many USAF squadrons had a supply liaison NCO and those folks would work out quickie lists for us to order commonly called parts quicker and those lists usually used the FSN or NSN.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Try not to mix up federal stock listings with manufacturers parts list numbers. Most manufacturer's parts manual do not list federal stock numbers or the newer National stock numbers.

Ok Wes, I'll try not to mix them up.
But we're not talking about a manufacturers parts listing here.
We're talking about an Army ORD9 dated September 1955.

Column (3) is the Ordnance Stock Number.
Column (4) is the Federal Stock Number (FSN).
Column (5) is the Manufacturers Part Number.

I guess I'm missing something. Yes, I know that a single FSN (NSN) can have many part numbers (made by many different manufacturers) associated to it. All of them equally interchangeable.
I requested parts the same way you did, except I had to have a paper requisition.
A phone call wouldn't do it. Not when I was a Lance Corporal, not when I was a Staff Sergeant, and sure as heck not when I was a Chief Warrant Officer. Very Happy
Supply people were anal about stuff like that. Shocked

--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B-52 reference I posted was a USAF Technical Order (TO 1B-52G-4) a five volume Boeing parts list converted by the USAF to a TO format. Most ORD 9's are the manufacturer's parts list converted to Army ORD 9 Format. Perhaps you Marines did the parts manuals differently. I only did 2 in the Army and 22 in the USAF.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: