Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Oil in intake manifold
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil in intake manifold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arisLgr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Oil in intake manifold Reply with quote

I found some oil residue in the intake manifold right under the carburetor, and now I realize that my spark plugs latelly are black and dirty.
My M38 has the original dipstick metal tube, with the rubber hose throwing the crankcase fumes into the carb.
From the side valve cover I have the fording brass tubes etc connected to the intake manifold below the carb, but I keep the valve in the off position so I beleive no oil fumes go in the intake manifold from there.
Am I missing some additional crankase fumes exit on my setup?
Thanks
Aris [/img]
1954 Mercury Monterey
1968 Corvette Stingray
1973 Mercedes 350SE
1974 Montesa Cota 247T
1982 Kubota B7100
Xamon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like some blow by or a bad head gasket. Have you checked your coolant to make sure it is clean and has no oil in it?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your PCV valve oriented in the correct direction and clean and free to operate as it is designed to operate?

TM 9-1804A offers a good description of the PCV valve and it's associated plumbing. Fig 4 and pages 109 thru 112. This is a time when the civilian jeep factory manual can also help.

Early M38 crankcase ventilation system.

Late M38 crankcase ventilation system.

And if you use google check these:
Quote:

PCV Valve Question - G503 Military Vehicle Message Forumshttps://forums.g503.com › viewtopic
Jul 1, 2017 — (Ok that is most everything). I have a PCV valve that the piece inside, does not move. This technology is new to me, earlier model jeeps just ...
15 posts

·

A positive pressure is formed in the crankcase when the engine is running. The PCV valve is ...
PCV valve vs breather tube - G503 Military Vehicle ...
15 posts
Nov 24, 2012
PCV system question. What is correct and what is "best"?
15 posts
Dec 8, 2016
PCV valve? - G503 Military Vehicle Message Forums
15 posts
May 21, 2016
PCV Valve and trouble idling - G503 Military Vehicle ...
9 posts
Jan 10, 2008
More results from forums.g503.com

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping your fording valves closed will pressurize your crankcase unless I'm mistaken.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
arisLgr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, I did recently a complete cooling overhaul, no oil in water, will do a compression test when everything goes back on the engine because It’s stripped now and will confirm the PVC valve is properly oriented.

But as Brian noted, since I installed it, I have been operating with the brass shut-off valve always closed! Whow !!! This must be it and I have no excuse, only that when I installed the fording knob on the dash I did not attached it’s cables in the engine, otherwise I would have noted (hopefully) the shut off valve’s proper operation!

I have the M38 in operation since 1972 and back then I had no way out here how to make it right, so better late than never with the forum and all your help it is slowly getting more original as I always wanted!

Again thanks !!!!!
1954 Mercury Monterey
1968 Corvette Stingray
1973 Mercedes 350SE
1974 Montesa Cota 247T
1982 Kubota B7100
Eades

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have the underwater fording set up, note that the vacuum pump return line goes into the intake. I get oil past the diaphragm seal and it intermittently gets sucked into the intake. Stinky at times.
arisLgr

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eades wrote:
If you still have the underwater fording set up, note that the vacuum pump return line goes into the intake. I get oil past the diaphragm seal and it intermittently gets sucked into the intake. Stinky at times.

Eades you EUREKA (meaning in Greek I -you- have found it) You are so right, I removed the vacuum bottom cup and the whole thing was filled to the brim with oil! Lots of oil was also on top of the diaphragm.

With all your help now I know that oil in my intake manifold probably came both from the vacuum pump and the oil breather hose into the air intake tube, because of the closed PVC valve. Never late to learn!!!

I am ready to modify my M38's fuel/vac pump as I have done with the same type pump on my '54 Mercury driver, after repeatedly having it's fuel diaphragm leaking. I have inserted an aluminium plate in the diaphragm’s space while disabling completely the pump's mechanical operation; the fuel goes through and the fuel/vacuum lines are for originality in place.
I rely only on my eclectic pump that properly primes the carb after long layoffs, while giving me audio assurance that I have fuel supplied.

In the M38 I can do the same both in the fuel and vacuum diaphragms and for the wipers, intake manifold vacuum will have to do, anyway I use it in the summer, open with the windshield down 😊

How do you guys feel about this? Has anyone tried it?
1954 Mercury Monterey
1968 Corvette Stingray
1973 Mercedes 350SE
1974 Montesa Cota 247T
1982 Kubota B7100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: