Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Strata Blue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strata Blue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:06 am    Post subject: Strata Blue Reply with quote

I know we have evidence of Willys painting 1952 vintage M38's Strata Blue but perhaps Keith Buckley or Ryan Miller can help with the BOM data for Strat Blue that would or would not support this OD2030, Red Oxide Primer, And Strata Blue layered M38 tub. This March 1952 tub belongs to Marty Gillman.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
WillysMotors
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the OD below the Strata Blue or on top?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the Strata Blue and the Red Oxide Primer. Do you recall Willys using red oxide primer on any of their M jeep contracts from 1950 thru 1971?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
WillysMotors
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my May 1954 M170 had red oxide as the first body coat.

I'm prepping a drive for Ryan to upload that may have other documents that will help.
JBJeep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to painting mine, I got samples from there different suppliers..Gillispie, LVP and PPG...all three look close enough. LVP is the lightest.

A friend has original paint on a M37, and no panels match.

Also, there is a nice M38 online restored by an Air Force retiree and he photographed it in daylight, there is one shot where every section looks different because of the light.

Another factor is gloss. Some say it should be semi-gloss but if you see period photos of AF vehicles, many were gloss, either because of age (new) or unit/use.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

Do you have any Willys/Kaiser factory documents that support the use of Red Oxide primer on military contract jeeps from 1950 thru 1971?

Are you absolutely certain your M170's paint is original? If so how did you determine that?

JBJEEP,

I am aware of all of those parameters. All the military contracts I have seen for M38, M38A1, M170 from 1950 thru 1971 for the Army were contracted in "Semi-Gloss". Having spent 22 years in the Air Force and 2 years Army I can attest to field repaints in both semi-gloss and Gloss. In both services it was a common practice to rub engine oil over paint jobs during inspections to make them GLOW!

Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Keith the other day and he has been super busy, I don't know how he fits it all in.

He is going to send stuff he knows is for the M series vehicles and we can go through them to look for information. It takes a lot of time to look through stuff for a vehicle and scan it let alone read through all the documents and look over every inch of these blue prints - there are notes in the margins many times.

Keith has been great about pulling stuff for a vehicle as he sees it and scanning it. Remember he has the other WWII and civilian guys wanting stuff too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: