Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Connecting a Mars Siren
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting a Mars Siren

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdruiz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Connecting a Mars Siren Reply with quote

Hello, I have a Mars 24volt siren on the right fender of my 1955 M38a1. I want to connect it to a switch. I was planning on running a wire directly from the battery positive to a switch and back to the siren. Can anyone tell me what gauge wire to use? Also, I was thinking of hooking the wire from the battery to an auto fuse. I was thinking 20 amps. Sound right? - Thanks, Wally
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wally, Assuming that your M38A1 is also 24V, you need to let folks know two important factors. The amperage draw of the siren and the length of wires you intend to use? With this info you or anyone can look the required wire gauge and fuse size up in a load chart.

Since I am an aircraft mechanic by trade I prefer to use their standard pubs. In this case I suggest FAA Advisory Circular 43.13-IB Acft Maint. Standards, Chapter 11- which covers electrical system repairs and has all the needed charts for calculating the answer to your question.

You can download the needed pages from my photo album. Your siren should have the data plate listing it's part/model number and electrical info.

My photo album with this info is: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album826&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.list/topicID/114

FAA Advisory Circulars AC 43.13-1B and AC 43.13-2b
You can also download these two manuals free on the FAA web site:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wdruiz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. Yes, I have a 24 volt M38A1. I don't know the amps drawn by the siren. I'll read what you referenced. -Wally
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not find any photos showing the Mars S-60 siren with a data plate that listed more than model brand, serial number. You may have to just use an in line amp meter (VOM) to determine the actual current draw of the siren.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wdruiz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The data plate on the siren doesn't show the amps. I'll try thr amp meter.
Thanks. - Wally
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: