Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Canvas Repair kit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canvas Repair kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilm38

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject: Canvas Repair kit Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with repairing rips in canvas tops or reattaching the straps? I got a kit from Beachwood Canvas with a Sailmakers Sewing Awl in it. Any tips from those who have done it or used one of these things before? I don't want to make the tear worse. Thanks.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just find a local shop that does heavy canvas work and drop the top off for repairs. A machine stitched patch/repair usually lives much longer than an awl sewn patch.

Here's a few helpful links:

https://www.wikihow.com/Sew-Canvas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD_QXbVCWYA

https://blog.treasurie.com/sewing-canvas/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
TomM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Sewing Reply with quote

Just to confirm, did you buy an awl or palm?
For refastening straps either will work. The repair depends upon your keeping significant tension on the thread.
For a rip in canvas, trying to sew a rip together is not going to give you a good repair. A patch piece needs to be fitted over the rip, sewn around the perimeter and additionally sewn close to the rip and stops sewn to prevent the rip from expanding.
Patch pieces are best done with a machine since the stitches look very professional and will hold. An X pattern across the rip will make it last forever.

Places that can handle canvas repair are sailmakers, awning companies and auto interior shops. Sailmakers will be expensive and few are interested in doing repairs on old oiled canvas. I’ve been to a couple in Austin and they do nice work for lots of $. Best to pass on these unless you have a friend in one of the shops. Awning shops do this type of work every day. You may have some car interior shops that can do skilled work at a very reasonable price.
Near me is a guy who does high end restorations on cars like Dusenbergs but he llikes old jeeps and he did a beautiful repair on my drivers door.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I had my M38 canvas top patched and repaired by my local tailor shop. Not sure if they would still do it but the owner used to be in clothing manufacturing here in New England. He had it machine stitched - much easier as noted - it's been great since.
I've used a sailors palm and needle for patching canvas sails on a topsail schooner I used to work on. You need to keep the material in proper shape or you get bunching and other issues. Much easier to take our canvas tops to someone that specializes in these kinds of repairs...
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
lilm38

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks for all the great suggestions. My kit came with a 10"x10" OD canvas patch, a sewing awl and spool combo and a spool of thread .However, I think Im gonna heed you alls advice and take it to a awning or upholstery shop. The rest of the top is fine other than the tear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: