Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Voltage Regulator - Mech vs. Solid State
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voltage Regulator - Mech vs. Solid State

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davistroy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Voltage Regulator - Mech vs. Solid State Reply with quote

What are the advantages / disadvantages between the two?
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are basicly the same as far as usage...

Biggest difference is the Mechanical uses an Ampmeter and the Solid State uses a Volt Meter...

The mechanical is wired for the shunt needed to make the ammeter work and the Solid state does not have this...

Using the solid state you tap the spider harness on the dash to get your voltage and ground to the dash...

For Factory/Original restoral you will need the Mechanical, for a Motorpool or your own tastes Solid State is fine...

That is the big question what do you want and go from there...

Hope this helps...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mechanical is stock, very reliable, cheap and repairable.

The transistorized is somewhat reliable, very sensitive to temps and polarity, EXPENSIVE and not field repairable.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

Some of the Solid State are field repairable... I opened mine (being an electronics tech) and it was not full of putty/goop or other stuff like a lot of electronic parts now a days... I can easily work on it should it go out... I mean replace components...

Hope this helps...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only guess at what you need and the parameters it should be set to. The Transistorized 25 ampers don't have any field service data or common military parts availability out there. Even the Army didn't fool with them. They were just swapped out when they malfunctioned. This is great for the MV dealers who want to sell lots of them but not worth a crap for the restorer unless he wants to just keep throwing money at it. A qualified electronics tech could probably sort out a problem with one but even then he will stumble and screw up a few times trying. When I say "Field Servicable" I mean there is a manual and parts out there for Joe Smuck to use to fix, troubleshoot or adjust it with.

The mechanical regulators meet the Field Serviceability criteria to a "T". They are simple enough for anyone to puts with.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davistroy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the best/cheapest look for a used mechanical one?
davistroy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
You can only guess at what you need and the parameters it should be set to. The Transistorized 25 ampers don't have any field service data or common military parts availability out there. Even the Army didn't fool with them. They were just swapped out when they malfunctioned. This is great for the MV dealers who want to sell lots of them but not worth a crap for the restorer unless he wants to just keep throwing money at it. A qualified electronics tech could probably sort out a problem with one but even then he will stumble and screw up a few times trying. When I say "Field Servicable" I mean there is a manual and parts out there for Joe Smuck to use to fix, troubleshoot or adjust it with.

The mechanical regulators meet the Field Serviceability criteria to a "T". They are simple enough for anyone to puts with.

What manual/publication deescribes field service of the mechanical regulators?
usma41

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look to anyone that has converted and see what they did with the old one. Your right up my alley if you want to keep everything origenal! I haul these things for pepole that buy them (Jeeps)and when I come accross a seller that converted, I ask them if the old parts where part of the deal, if not I take them. I just gave away a regulator that came off of a M38A1.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM 9-1825B 1952 edition or newer. These manual exerpts that apply to our electrical equipment are already loaded on my old Yahoo Group and we are working on moving them here.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/M38-M38A1-M606/files/Wes'%20Shop%20Notes/24%20Volt%20Auto-Lite%20Electrics/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: