Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Motor mount help still needed - mystery
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motor mount help still needed - mystery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m37m38

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Motor mount help still needed - mystery Reply with quote

I have a mystery to solve - my motor mounts appear to have been modified by the previous owner by welding what looks like some metal stock +- 1 1/2 inches thick onto the frame assembly and then mounting the motor mounts on the tube stock. I do not see how this is possible since the motor still mounts in place only from a slightly different location and elevation.

I do not know how to post pictures so if someone can give me that info i can post the picture of the culprit on the website.

Dave

[/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was common for folks to make a weld or bolt on attachment for the mount plates when an engine from another willys was substituted and it's front mount plate ears didn't match the frame mounts.

You must first get a host site to load your photos on. I use www.mypicgallery.com which has a free setup and a pay setup. You post your photo there. Then whenever you want to add that photo to a forum like this you go to the page where you actually post your message. Between the subject line and the body of the message you are typing you will see a set of icons you can click on. When you have the cursor (the little flashing bar that shows where you are typing) at the spot in your post where you want the picture to be move your mouse arrow to the "IMG" icon and click on it. It will appear where your typing cursor was. Now go to your picture site, for netscape browser right click on your photo, click on the drop down list and then click on "copy image location" then come back to this message and paste the image's location immediately after the [img] and then move your mouse arrow back up to the "Img*" above and click on it. For IE browser right click on your photo and from the drop down menue click "properties" the copy and paste the image's URL the same as above after the [img] and then move your mouse arrow back to the top and click on "Img*"

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
m37m38

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - my picture site is set up and here are the motor mount pictures.

My questions are :
1. If the original motor were swapped out, is it normal to have this much of a difference between the mounting ears and the frame mount?

2. What is the solution to bring it back to original or close to it?

3. Any other suggestions as to how this occurred?

I really appreciate any help.

Dave

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said above you have an early WWII MB/CJ2A or utility front mount plate on your engine with both ears angled to the rear. The correct M38 mount plate will have the driver's side ear bent forward which also gives better access to the fuel pump. You need to buy the correct front plate and remove the add on mount extenders.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: