Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M100 trailer ID
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M100 trailer ID

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantj

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: M100 trailer ID Reply with quote

Okay yes I know this is not a m series jeep question, but with a M100 trailer. And many of you may have the M100 to go with your jeep. Does the trailer have a separate stamped ID number on the frame besides the data plate (a different number)..
I'm trying to have the trailer properly titled as 1953 M100 trailer, not a U-build. thanks...grant
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an M-100 and after stripping every part down to bare metal, there are no numbers on it save for the data plates...

You can get Plates from http://www.mvdataplates.com/jeep_trailers.htm

He carries both the Dunbar Knapp and Strick

If you have your old plates the brass were Dunbar and the Aluminum were Strick

Hope this helps...
SteveJ

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Grant. My M100 CDn is stamped on the top of the L/H trailer tougue frame rail. 53-71069. The 1069 equates to the S/N stamped on the data plate and also matches the year. Its a Motorcoach industries trailer.
Cool
1991 Reynolds Boughton RB44 GS TUH
1952 M38 CDN W/W (Sold)
1953 M100 CDN Trailer
1951 PE95K Genset (Sold)
grantj

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: trailer id Reply with quote

Hi guys.. I should have mentioned it is a Cdn M100, Motorcoach brand. Thanks Steve for the frame id I'll look for it... I was freeing up the frozen on/rusted lunette nut and noticed a stamped number on the lunette shaft, 7328xx1. I'm sure this is what was used to VIN the trailer. thanks...grant
SteveJ

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im surprised they would use a number on the lunette shaft as it is a replacesable part and could dissapear. Cool
1952 M38 CDN W/W (Sold)
1953 M100 CDN Trailer
1951 PE95K Genset (Sold)
cmpman

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number stamped on the frame arm was the Canadian Forces Registrtion number (or the CAR unmber prior to unification of the forces). When MCI built the trailers, it was very hit or miss wheather the serial number matched up to the CAR number. I had trailer serial number 0018, which did happen to match the CFR number, but other similar serial numbers did not. I suspect someone went out and assigned the CAR numbers (ie 52-70018) in batches, rather than as each trailer came off the assembly line.

I have another MCI trailer out back....I'll have a look in the omrning and see if the numbers match up at all.

By the way, the actual serial number for a M100Cdn would be: MCI/M100CDN/0123. I'm going by memory on this, but again, I can confirm it in the morning.
SteveJ

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the trailer I have now and the one before the stamping on the frame (the last four digits) and the stamping on the data plate have matched.
Th:)

This next one is a scan from an old wheels and tracks issue on the military trailer. the first one one in the 2nd row is an M100 cdn The CAR number/ SN is also indicated in white markings on the sides of the trailer. My first M100 was also marked like this and also had the document pouch and the cable box. I have no idea what the marking on the cable box means

1952 M38 CDN W/W (Sold)
1953 M100 CDN Trailer
1951 PE95K Genset (Sold)
cmpman

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thats kind of cool. 0018 was my trailer years ago.

The other number on the trailer cable box (which didn't serve a purpose in Canada since our cables were part of the harness) was the old census code, which was later replaced by the equipment configuration code. There would be a different code for any accepted variations of the equipment. The only variation to the 1/4 ton trailer that I can think of was the oxy/acetylene welding trailer.

My current trailer CFR is 53-70552 and my serial number is MCI/M100Cdn/0542. I used to have a list of all the CFRs in Western Canada which I passed on to another fellow. If your trailer came from this end of the country, I can put you in touch with him. It may have your CFR, and the unit it belonged to, but I don't recall the list having serial numbers.

As an aside, I recently bought a couple dozen M101Cdn2 1/4 ton Illtis trailers. When I went to register them, I ran into a bit of a problem because the serial numbers were just 4 digits, and somewhere, boat trailers or camper trailers were already registered under those numbers. So, to make the serial numbers unique, we ended up using a number somewhat like the M100Cdns. I used "M101Cdn2 0123" with the last four digits being the number stamped on the data plate.

If you find your number on the frame arm, just go with that. It should be in the ballpark.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the ORD stock number for the lunette 7328311.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: