Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Advise on Body Work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advise on Body Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasarnold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Advise on Body Work Reply with quote

Folks,

I need some expert advise concerning the right sequence of body work. I have sand blasted the tub of my Jeep, replaced all rusted areas with new sheet metal and just got done grinding the welds down.

Now I need to know the correct order of the next steps:

- Should I use body filler next to even out the grinding over the welds?

- Do I use the body filler before the primer?

- Can I use glazing putty after I apply the primer (since the imperfections become more visible after primer is applied and dries) or does it have to be applied directly onto the body filler?

- After all this work I am concerned that there might be some bleed-through where body filler will be applied so: Is 'Rust-Oleum Primer for Heavily Rusted Metal' (the brownish/grey stuff) sufficient as a sealer over the body filler?

I searched several posts on several forums but ended up with some contradicting answers. Seems to me that different people prefer a different order. That is fine by me but I am no body repair man so I need some advise from the people that already done this job.

Thanks for the help!
DMCarpenter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to make a suggestion that I should follow myself, but hey...

You might want to look into a body repair course at your local community college. Fall is coming and those courses are typically cheap, very hands on, and you can generally get some work done free/on the cheap. Welding courses can also be useful as well.

To answer at least one question, filler goes on bare metal, and less is usually more.

Just a thought
GregS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the body shop world it is a wide debate if filler should go on bare metal or not. I have done both with excellent results. If you spray the body with epoxy primer, the filler will adhere just fine and should moisture get underneath your filler, the epoxy primer will protect the metal underneath. When you often see filler bubbling, it is because moisture has gotten underneath the filler and is rusting the metal away.

My favorite procedure is:

1. epoxy primer over prepped bare metal
2. filler
3. spray sandable primer
4. block sand
5. After block sanding you will be able to see your high and low spots and determine if you need more filler or two-part glazing. Use the two part glazing. All other glazing is junk and will shrink.
6. Spray primer and block sand
7. Spray epoxy primer
8. Top coat X3

Do not use Rust Oleum, it is not very compatible with auto paint. Epoxy primer is execellent stuff and will stick to anything.

The key is to spray primer, block sand, and fill repeadily until you have a flat surface that blends perfectly into the surrounding area. If it doesn't it will stick out horribly when you spray the top coat. Patients is a must.
thomasarnold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, Thank you very much for taking time and giving me a detailed answer to my question. That was exactly what I was looking for. Regards - Thomas
GregS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is an excellent forum for autobody. Do a search or read old pages and you will find excellent resource material.

There are some real pros on here.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/
BEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know I 'm a bit late to put my bit in here, but Ive been in the panel & paint game for 38 yrs now, and I just wanted to say how we do it. The body filler is put in after you have ground to bare metal, it is then filed & sanded flat before being sprayed with a 2 pak hi-build primer, the primer is only to fill any small imperfections & scratches left from sanding the filler. (not to fill dents etc) the primer is then blocked flat before your colour coat is applied. Hope this is of some help to you if it is & you want any more info please let me know. Good luck Bear
thomasarnold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank everybody for the infos. I will get started with it this weekend!

Greetings,
BEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck with it all and happy repairing Very Happy
thomasarnold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Got The Tub Back On... Reply with quote

Hello everybody.

The last three weeks have been pretty busy and I wanted to thank everybody for all the hints and tips. After a lot of new sheet metal, many feet of welding wire, a contractor's pack of grinding discs, countless sheets of sand paper and several gallons of primer and OD paint the tub is finally back on the frame. I think it turned out pretty decent and I am glad that I didn't decide to buy a reproduction tub. It would have been a lot less work but I just could not bring myself to get rid of the original tin can. Now it's starting to look somewhat like a JEEP again...

. . .
. .

I wish I would have taken more pictures before I started. Probably got too exited tearing the rust bucket apart...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Greetings

Thomas
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas, you have done a lot of work in such a short time. And with the hot temperatures around the states. Great work.
BEAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thomas you've done a great job there mate, it's a credit to you, Very Happy
I know what you mean about wishing you'd taken more photos, I do that every time, just to keen to get into it! Anyway be proud mate you did that.
Cheers Ray (BEAR) Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: