Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Need Restoration Hints
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Restoration Hints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattyT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Need Restoration Hints Reply with quote

New MEmber From RI. I have collected 3 M-38's (51,52,52) and a slew of parts since 1990 . Although I'm sure and know I'm missing some. I plan to use 2 to make 1. What suggestions/hints would you give me before I start(it's about time and finding your website has given me renewed enthusiasm for this)). Is there an order you would approach it from. For example when would you send the engine out, type of blast media for frame and body. I guess I'm trying to learn from your mistakes (nothing personal by that) Look forward to your help and providing entertainment with my future photo album

Thanks
Matt Sheridan
Rick_L

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always takes longer, and costs more than you think.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you happened to get any of Howard Everrets stuff? He lived in Roade Island, and passed away earlier this year.
About sending the engine out. You can wait on that till the end however, price might change conciderably depending how many months or years it takes you to get to that point. I would say if you do it now, tell who ever rebuilds it that it might have to sit up for a good while before it is time to run it. Ask them what they think about that. You will want them to guarantee their work of coarse. Request that they go the extra mile and put a lot of rebuild lube in it so it will stay lubed up.
RickC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Fellow RIer Reply with quote

Hi Matt. Where in RI are you??? I just finished my M38. Contact me offlist at FFRICKC@aol.com. I have some spare parts and some info....
Rick
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Matt,
As you can see there are several members in RI. Tom Mackey is another down in Jamestown.

It's best to schedule the engine overhaul so that it is ready to install and run as soon as you get it from the shop.

The best way to organize a big resto is to start at the beginning.

1-Get throughly familiar with the vehicle, it's history and it's good and bad points.

2-Get all applicable manuals and technical info you may need together in one place.

3-Inventory each vehicle completely. Inventory both assets and the condition of each vehicle.

4-Determine the most complete and correct vehicle you have. IE does the tub. fram and engine match each other by yeargroup.

5-Once vehicle for resto is chosen list parts to stay and parts to be replaced. Now list where the replacement parts will come from IE one of the other vehicles or which vendor.

6-Inventory what will need repairs or rebuilding on the target vehicle.

7-Determine what if any special tooling is needed for those repairs and rebuilding items. IE welder, balster, pullers, gages and adapters.

8-Now decide what repairs and rebuilding will be within your mechanical capabilities and avaialble tooling.

9-Draw up a plan. Usually you build something from the bottom up so the most common approach is disassemble and strip. Then build around the frame. This usually means rebuild axles, brakes and steering and assemble to frame. Then tranny, transfer and drive shafts then tub and front clip including trial fitting it back to frame. Then with frame painted and tub painted install tub, complete steering, brakes, electrical, gages, fuel system and etc. Finally it's time to fit the engine and test fire it. With engine running correctly you can procede to front sheet metal final installation.

Our group has an M38 survey form which can help you with your vehicle inventories and a manual list.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
TomM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: M38 Reply with quote

Matty,
Good to hear from you. I'm in Jamestown and would be glad to get together to compare notes.
other small advise to add: dont take anything apart yet. Get the manuals first and figure out what you have. The M38 went through various changes during its short production time (early/late/rebuilds etc). You will want to figure out exactly what each of the 3 jeeps are then figure out how best to combine the parts to come up with the jeep you want.
Take a lot of pictures before and during dismantling. Compare pictures with the manuals as you go.
Keep a notebook near the workbench when dismantling just to write a few things down that will help put it all back together.

send me an email tom_mackie@trimble.com

Tom
TomM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Howard Everetts stuff Reply with quote

Oh, and the question about Howards stuff.
A bunch of people got together and worked with Howards wife to sell the stuff. They got proper fair prices for everything. He mostly had MB stuff from his latest project. He had sold his M38 stuff a while back.
Howard was a fun guy.
Tom
RickC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Tom, Howard was a nice guy to deal with. He had WWII stuff at the end but he did sell me a nice underhood battery box for m M38. We are sure going to miss him at club functions.......

Met Matt today and saw his newest M38. Definitely looks nicer than the one I started with and is fairly complete. Let the fun begin!!!!
Rick C
TomM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: M38 Reply with quote

Excellent to hear of yet another M38. Another friend in Bridgewater who is into Model A's just told me he had two M38's sitting behind his barn and is going to pull them out and start on them soon.
Good to hear people are getting to the projects.

I'll eventually post some pix of my rolling chassis. Its almost ready for the body drop.

Tom
brimac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt
I am in the same boat, seeing whats missing and needs to be rebuilt.
My engine block I sent out as soon as I pulled it. The engine sat for 15+
years without spark plugs and having a mouse nest over two of the plug holes. I wanted to see if it was usable or I needed to find a new block.
If you are ever in the Brockton area email for a phone #

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: