Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Firestone versus STA NDT Tires
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestone versus STA NDT Tires
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mjp83

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: Firestone versus STA NDT Tires Reply with quote

Hi everyone, it’s time to buy tires. I am looking to remain with the NDT 7.00-16 tires on my M38. I have noticed several publications listing the Firestone at 30.5” tall, and the STA’s at 31.8 tall. Called some warehouses and they could not confirm this. I know different tire manufactures will offer same tire sizes, and some “tend to run larger”.
I really prefer the Coker/STA super traxion, but it’s only offered in the 6.50-16 size, which is listed at 29.4”.
I would go up to the 7.50-16 size IF I could get a Deestone that would be known to run “small” and actually measure close to 31”.
Why am I asking all of this? I do not have overdrive on my rebuilt rig, and want to drive it to work during the summer, but at the same time not kill my off road gearing. Not sure if going to a 7.50 will make that big of a difference, I’m used to going from a 31” tire to a 33” or 35’s on my other Jeeps, but they have bigger engines!
Sorry for the long post, I’m sure I am overthinking this, but appreciate your input!
Martin

Last edited by Mjp83 on Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Mjp83

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the specs on the NDT tires offered by Firestone and STA. I think Specialty Tires of America was its own company, but it seems they are now under Coker, who also makes the Firestones???

The last picture is of the STA Super Traxion, but note the 6.50-16 size has the look I am after, the 7.00 and 7.50 have a more wave like pattern.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NDT's were an Army compromise leaning more towards off road performance with barely adequate on hard top performance. I personally do not use them for anything but show. Wet roads and sleet/ice/snow covered hard top roads they perform very poorly and I consider them downright dangerous above 45 MPH under those winter condition on paved roads.

Radials do not fare well on a stock Willys m jeep without upgrading the steering from Ross to a modern GM unit.

This leaves standard highway tires and the old fashion truly knobby snow tires.

Increasing tire diameter doesn't always end well either. It will cost you in power vs speed in third gear. Just google up one of the many ratio changing/gauging math computers and insert your numbers.

Finally we have not mentioned tire clearance. Vertical is not usually an issue within reason however contact with structure in turns is common with most increased tire diameters. This usually results in reduced steering radius which will not make you happy in tight turning spots.

As for nominal tire diameter variations in same nominal tire sizes, that has always been like that.

As for overdrives they can only be truly useful and safe when they are employed on a well maintained jeep with excellent steering, suspension and brakes along with a healthy engine.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Mjp83

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking more and more at the STA Super Traxion, I decided to look up some members who have them. How about RickG posted in 2015 a picture AND dimensions! I think I am going with these although they only come in the 6.50-16 size. After researching online sources, it seems they come in right at 30.2" tall, very similar in height to the NDT's. I think this will be a good choice as I did only rebuild my old springs, and they may be a bit tired.
I hope to have my rig looking like RickG's one day....
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look very adequate. Just to confirm they do not alter speedometer accuracy I always take new tires for a drive past one of those automated speed checker displays.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RICKG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen that jeep somewheres before, cant remember where.. Cool
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, Who do you know that has a gravel driveway in front of his shop and an old Ford 8N parked next to it?

Mjp83

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RICKG wrote:

Hey how are those tires holding up? Any long term reviews you want to share? Hope you don’t mind I dug that pic out of your M38!
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good posting. I still have that old 1959 CJ3B sitting in my shop waiting its turn. I think the super traxion are what I will put on it too.
keats

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used the STA Super Traxion tires on my cj3b. I used them for two years before selling the jeep.I had the engine rebuilt around the same time i bought the tires and put over 600 miles on them in a short time breaking in the engine. they rode smooth and quiet, and did well in soft terrain and mud. when snow did come, they performed very well. tread cleaned out quickly, and gripped well. I wish i had kept the tires and use them as alternates on the cj3a i have.

Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keats,

What size tires did you use?
keats

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STA Super Traxion, 6.50-16
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mjp83 wrote:
RICKG wrote:

Hey how are those tires holding up? Any long term reviews you want to share? Hope you don’t mind I dug that pic out of your M38!

I'm using them on both jeeps. The M38 has LS powr-locs and the manners were nasty on wet pavement with NDCC's but are sweet with the Super Trax. These jeeps are not garage queens and are used regularly on trails, some of which are moderate in difficulty. the tires have performed and held up well.

Mjp83

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my new shoes, super happy with the STA Super Traxions! Even thought they are listed as a 6.50x16, they are half an inch taller than the old and tired 7.00x16 which appeared to be a new set put on before the jeep was parked in the 80's.....
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!

Keats I have an old CJ3B that doesn't run I bought back in 2015. I had to finish a couple other projects but I got it thinking I would put a snow plow on it like yours.

what plow did you use and did you reinforce the frame any?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: