Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - brake adjustment eating my lunch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

brake adjustment eating my lunch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: brake adjustment eating my lunch Reply with quote

I don't know what I am doing wrong. I can not get the trailer brake mechanism at the drum to work. The lever which is attached to cable at the drum end does not expand the brake shoe when the cable is pulled tight. I thought maybe that I had the lever flipped wrong, so I tried fitting it another way (don't know how I can describe that) but only one way seems to fit correctly, yet it doesn't work right.
I only see one photo in the manual of these parts. Showing the left brake assembly. And that is they way I put it together.

It looks like if fitted as the photo shows, then when the cable is pulled, that would make the lever pull the bar away from the forward shoe instead of pushing on it.

I first adjusted the brake shoe eccentrics and cams before I tried adjusting the brake cable. Just can't get it to work. I haven't given up. Taking a brake for some wisdom from anyone who has been there and done that.

Ken
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some days of fiddling with the brake mechanism and scratching my head I finally got the pieces in the correct notches. It works much better when that happens. It will only go together one way.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

Do you have any photos of your work?

How is the rest of the jeep coming alon, did you finish it?
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan I posted a few photos of the trailer work in my gallery. I'll try to post some more as I have got it mostly finished except for the reflectors, stars and numbers. I put the data plates back on it. However they are blue since the trailer had been repainted Air Force blue years ago . The paints seems tobe baked on the plates because I haven't been able to get it off. The plates were also warped as if they had been in a very hot oven,
I straightened most of the warpage out of them.

About the jeep, I have put 1000 miles on it since July of 2007. I did the Arkansas Red Ballin Convoy with Hal Miller last May. Had a great time. There is only a couple of things that I could add to it to make it complete, like the under hood battery box for starters. But I'm in no hurry. And the door curtain frames also needed.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: