Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Finally started working on my M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally started working on my M38
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocwd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Center Exhaust Pipe Reply with quote

I'll send John an email and see what he says. I know there is a difference in M38 and M38A1 center exhaust. Is there a difference in header pipes or are they the same? I really did expect these to fit right pretty close and was surprised when they didn't.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My muffler and exhaust pipe needed some tweeking too. It is probably the same manufacturer as yours.

In order for you to get the muffler raised up and on the right angle. You might have to grind the weld on the tringle flange on the exhaust pipe so that you will be able to rotate it. Position the muffler where it should be and snug up the hanger bolt. Now match the exhaust flange with the muffler flange, snug it up with some bolts. and weld the flange back on the exhaust pipe. The muffler inlet pipe should be a little larger in diameter than the exhaust. If while fitting the two together you find the exhaust pipe to extend longer than should be, either trim it off or let in slide into the muffler inlet then weld the flange back on it.
This is what I had to do.
I realize this sucks and is a pain, but in order to salvage what you have, it will work out.
ocwd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Center Exhaust Pipe Reply with quote

I just spoke to John at MWM. I guess I got one from the old batch of pipes. John said to heat it up red hot just behind the rear flange and pull it into place. Apparently this was an issue on his older pipes and it worked out well just heating it up. I'll give it a shot after I get some oxygen for my tourch.
53a1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Are you talking about heating and bending the center pipe or the muffler? I think the center pipe looks good. It's the muffler that looks messed up. I would do what me and the other member suggested and cut, rotate and weld just the end of the muffler. You may also have to do the other side of the muffler as well to get it to bend up.

If you start messing with the center pipe you may no clear your frame.
ocwd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Center Exhaust & Muffler Reply with quote

You are probably right about that. I have some time to think about it as I won't be working on my Jeep for a while. The muffler was $35 so I don't mind tinkering with it.
ocwd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Center Exhaust & Muffler Reply with quote

I will be working on my muffler in the next few weeks. Is there anyone here that can provide me with some pictures showing the correct and final location of the muffler? I want it to end up in the correct location just in case I ever install a fording pipe. Pictures from a few different angles would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures won't save you alignment issues with your fording kit. 9 out of 10 fording kit installs will require tweaking of the tail pipe position to allow proper positioning of the fording pipe mount brackets.

The manual photos of the rear of the jeep will give you the best shots of original installations. Sample shots of existing installations today are usually way off for the reasons you are seeing with shape and fit of repop parts and many folks deliberately bend the tailpipe downward to get rid of the exhaust's tendency to resonate off the inside of the bumperette.

Large view of this photo: http://img.mypicgallery.com/m38fordingkit/mv-mag-oct-01-pg-57.jpg

Look at the photo on page 36 of TM 9-8012 and Page 6 of TM 9-1804B.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too got one of the pipes from the old batch from John. I heated it per John's advice. It fits quite well ,looks real close to picture in the manual. I have the fording kit (not installed) and by holding the pipe in place it is real close to fitting properly, with a small amont of tweaking.

DJ
ocwd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Center Exhaust & Muffler Reply with quote

Thanks Wes and DJ. I still need to get some oxygen.
ocwd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Front Engine Plate Reply with quote

OK, so I guess I have the wrong front engine plate. Mounting tabs face opposite directions but has a short generator mounting hole. I am told that I can stack washers to fix the problem but what size washers and how many. I have a smaller grommet to use. I did not realize there were different Willys engine plates with opposite facing mounting tabs. What vehicle is this engine plate correct for?

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the original installation

If your insulator (grommet) is 1 5/32" between the ears then it is correct and will be forced shorter on the installation of the generator. You can see in the illustration that it does not collapse completely but there is still a small working space showing.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
53a1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I would use the short rubber bushing. Take the bolt that holds the generator and buy some flat washers to fill the gap between the mount plate and the generator. If you need to drill out the ID of the washer that is no big deal.

I would start with the difference in length of the bushings and use that as the number of washers you will need. Close is good enough.
ocwd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Front Engine Plate Reply with quote

Wes,

What TM is that picture from? I can never find these things in the TMs. Also, looking at that TM figure, my engine plate looks correct. Is it?

Dave
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Yes I believe your plate is correct. The bushings are correct also and I see nothing wrong with the fit. The front always has play at the bushing. This allows for slight variations in plate and generator tab thickness and plate alignment. When you get her installed and tighten the two bolts most of that extra space you now see will be gone.

The photo is from the M38 operator's & service manual TM 9-8012 page 195 Figure 66 which is in the Chapter 152 Generator assembly removal & installation. There's a very similar photo in the M38A1 TM 9-8014 but not as clear.

ocwd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Center Exhaust & Muffler Reply with quote

I got the muffler bent up into place. Not too thrilled with the fit. I can tell that the flange is going to rattle on the cross member. I'll do some more heating and tweaking when I can get a better torch. The map gas torch does not get hot enough.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 7 of 21

Jump to: