Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Best Way to Remove OD from Body Tag
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Way to Remove OD from Body Tag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Best Way to Remove OD from Body Tag Reply with quote

What's the best way to remove OD paint from the aluminum body tag (the one behind the passenger's seat)?
Warhawk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is the best way or not, but I used several applications of Aircraft Remover on mine. I would spray on an application from an aerosol can and would let it just start to crinkle the paint. I would then flush it off with water in the shop sink and wipe gently with paper towel. I repeated this process until 99.7% of the paint was gone. It looks like it was put on the jeep yesterday. I was quite pleased with my results.
Galen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Aircraft Remover available . . . Napa, Autozone, etc?
Warhawk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine at Autozone, however it should be available at most auto parts suppliers. It quite literally says Aircraft Remover on the label and is available in aerosol cans or jugs of varying size. It's pretty powerful stuff which is why you have to be careful with it. My plate had at least six layers of paint on it and I was able to get them off using the method I laid out above. Perhaps someone else has a better idea, I don't know. I was guessing when i did mine and it worked really well. The Aircraft Remover rinses off with water. Flush it off in the sink and dry with some paper towel. The paint should peel off as you dry. Repeat as many times as needed.

When I repainted my jeep I went through quite a bit of that stuff and it made a believer out of me. This is just one mans opinion, like I said maybe someone else has a better idea.
Galen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like solid advice, I'll let you know how mine goes.
ChuckW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galen - before you spring bucks for the aircraft stripper, try a little brake fluid. Let the tag sit for a few hours in a pie pan full of standard brake fluid. You might need to scrub it a few time with an old tooth brush. You can control the layers of paint that you take off...the aircraft stripper may take ALL the paint off.
CJ3B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galen:

Did you know that Brake Fluid is a jeleaous woman's best friend? Whene she's mad, she will typically pour a bottle of Brake Fluid on a man's most prized possesion... his car, effectively removing the paint AND rendering it virtually unpaintable! Shocked How do I know? I had a very jeleaous neighbor, and her husband liked to "fool around..."

Brake fluid works just fine for delicate paint removal. One other thing to consider is that Aircraft Remover is so strong, I don't know if it will mar the aluminum on the tag, but again, most of the aircraft's fuselage is made out of aluminum. Opinions anyone?

Jorge
1952 M38
1965 CJ3B
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use any one of those products on aluminum - just make sure you drench your part in a solvent like Mineral Spirits afterwards. Strippers like that are pretty corrosive to paint, and unless you dunk it in a solvent when you're done stripping, the new paint you may apply will peal up and not adhere.

Don't worry about using that stuff on aluminum. It sounds like normal paint stripper -- and we probably used two gallons of that stuff on our airplane when we redid the landing gear. Didn't do a thing to the aluminum.
Galen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys . . . thanks for the advice, the brake fluid really worked on the layers of OD on the tag. I'll try to post a pic, but if it doesn't work, here's the address of my gallery: http://galenm38a1.mypicgallery.com/

The tag on the right in the picture is off the M38A1; the tag on the left is from the M38 tub that came on my CJ2A. Wes, can you help with production dates for both? I seem to have lost the links I had to the lists. Here are the serial numbers.

M38 Tub: MC 33157
M38A1: MD 56155

Pic:

[img]javascript: SpecWin('http://www.mypicgallery.com/mpg/Original.aspx?g=770141&i=' + originalImageName[document.OriginalImagePopUpForm.fPhotoIndex.value] + '.jpg', 'newWindow', 'scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=400,height=340');[/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M38 Tub: MC 33157 Sep 1951
M38A1: MD 56155 Aug 1953

Send me the full file size copies of your photos.

Here's the plates you wanted to post here:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: