Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - USMC Hood Number Uncovered!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USMC Hood Number Uncovered!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
53a1

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: USMC Hood Number Uncovered! Reply with quote

I had great success finding some hood numbers under the paint. I didn't find the ARMY numbers yet but I found the USMC and number a layer above.

I used paint stripper and a rag and added a small coat, wiped and then another coat. I did this until I could see just see the number than I would leave that section alone and apply around that area. It was tedious but it payed off.

My advise to people is to use this method and go slow! The numbers were very thin and one mess up with the sand paper would wipe them off for good.

Front side says USMC in yellow and back says 191051 They are opposite on other side. Next I will do the bumpers.

[/img]

I have the USMC retrofit dataplates for this Jeep. It was converted to a radio jeep with an AN/MRC 35A setup.

I'm in search of the control set that went in dash cutout.

Last edited by 53a1 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

That is great. Hood numbers can be difficult to find.

Cool
richasco

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! I'll be starting mine in a few weeks. I've tried sanding and paint stripper but was wondering which would work best. I know pass. side is not recoverable but hopefully I can find the numbers on the driver side. I also have some markings on the front of the pass. fender and on the drivers rear quarter panel. It would great to find some more hood numbers and other markings for the USMC jeeps. Please post pics if you find anything else.
53a1

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out and tried the bumpers and there was nothing. I'm no expert but I'm starting to think the Marines took the Army numbers off durring the retrofit. I wonder if the Marines put any markings on the bumpers at all.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marines didn't use many markings. Usually unit markings were only used when two or more units were together in the same location.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
TomM

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: MRC-35 Reply with quote

The MRC-35 radio set was a ground to air communications set for forward air control or radio central ops. It consisted of WWII era gear.
the ARC27 was a low power ultra-high-frequency communcations set for ground to air.
The ART13 transmitter combined with the BC348 was a WWII bomber communicatins set refitted for mobile use consisting of a 100 watt auto tuned transmitter and general coverage receiver.
There are lots of pictures of these two sets on the web if you are interested in seeing the original payload.

There was a large control panel installed in the dash and you will find holes through the rear area as the radio set occupied the entire back of the jeep.

If you were ever to try to duplicate the radio setup, the components are generally in existance in fact a neighbor put together an ART13/BC348 setup within the past year for his own use. Brackets might have to be fabricated from pictures in the tech manuals.
The setup would be heck of a conversation piece and add a few hundred pounds to the jeep to help soften the ride.

Tom
53a1

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

Thanks for the info.

Tom, I would be interested in finding the radio parts this came with. I would like to at least find the control unit that went into the dash to fill that hole in.

If you could share any links or documentation I would sure appreciate it. BTW, I can see the holes on the back where the radio mounted. I'm going to restore the jeep as a USMC jeep with all the original holes open in hopes that I one day get a radio for it.

TomM

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: radios Reply with quote

The radio setups take some digging and there isnt one clearing house of vendors like we have for jeep parts.
Almost everything for your setup can be found. You will need to start networking within the ham radio geeks. Within the ham radio world there is a small subset of military radio enthusiasts. We have no formal club but we get together once or twice a year to talk nonsense about radios nobody else in the world cares about and have a cookout.
There is an east coast and a west coast group. The west coast group is more active.
I would suggest:
Subscribe to "Electric Radio" magazine: ray@ERmag.com ($34/year)
and run a free ad every month.
Start going to local "hamfests". These are like jeep meets but with radio geeks. The mutha of all ham fests is the Dayton Hamvention which is this weekend or next. You would probably find all the parts at that swap meet.
Ham radio is a dieing hobby so the swap meets are getting smaller and smaller. I'm finding that I am the youngest one at most. Many of the old guys who bought this stuff surplus in the 40's and 50's have it on basement shelves and do not want to be bothered fooling with epay and other hassles. They would rather sell their gear to someone who is intereested so start asking around and meeting people.
Call Fair Radio or send them an email asking for specific parts. They used to have a lot of bits but sometimes the only way to really get what you want is to go there and search their aisles.
The control box on your dash is the hardest part of your setup to find. You might consider advertising specifically for that part in the radio magazines and also in MV magazines. it is hit or miss where one will show up.
Good luck with the project.
Tom
53a1

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom. Sounds like it's going to be a PITA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: