Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Windshield wipers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windshield wipers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Windshield wipers Reply with quote

I went for a ride a few days ago. I had to go thru some rain.
Wiper system sucks on my M38.
Two things,
1. new wiper blades do not wipe glass uniformly. Wiper arms are not applying much pressure on the blade. Plus the rubber on new blades is not so good.
2. accelerating engine causes vacuum to decrease.
I was surprised to see the wiper motor slow down on accelerating. I thought this wouldn't happen if there was a vacuum pump involved.

Was curious as to what other members have done to improve the wiper system. Especially the wiper blade quality.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the system is restored to it's original factory new condition it performs quite admirably.

Korean rubber blades and arms will not help performance. For a driver skip the cheap offshore repop blades and adapt modern US made blades. If arms are weak find stronger springs.

Low vacuum output on pump can degrade performance. You must get 12 to 15" HG at cruise RPMs about 1500 to 2000.

Leaks in the system can degrade performance.

Old slightly reconditioned wiper motors often perform poorly. The internal rubber has to be in excellant shape and the interior surfaces it has to seal against must be flawless and smooth. Case sealing is an absolute necessity.

The use of the 1/4" hose instead of the correct 3/32" hose can promote leaks and takes mor vacuum volume.

Low manifold pressure can also have a degrading affect. Basic at idle engine vacuum must be 18 to 21" HG with the vac side of the fuel pump not playing. The vac side of the fuel pump is a booster for the wipers. If you are 5 or 6" HG short on basic manifold vacuum you will be short 5 or 6" HG on the wipers as well.

Yes they will slow slightly when accelerating but they should still be adequate. As a last resort (before adding electric wipers) add a storage boost tank. Any of the inline plastic vacuum reservoirs found in the salvage yard will work. Look for one that has nipples that match the under hood hose size.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I will do some trouble shooting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: