Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Whats the worst "bubba mod" you have come across?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats the worst "bubba mod" you have come across?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vrod02

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess mine was'nt all bad cause the tub was excellent. Bobcat tires,2a windscreen that doesnt fit, cut the hood for the ys ai f head.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of bondo as well.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
vrod02

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Looks like a lot of bondo as well.

Yes but just light filler covering factory holes and side seams, and buba hood scoop. No rustout. Worst rust was under tank and just pitting.

FrankenJeep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should consider myself lucky in that my "Willy the Willys" was mostly complete and not so "boogered up" as many of yours. The main things I found was a replacement L-head from a CJ (RMC number), 12V electricals on an original 24V system with the result it being it burns up coils on a regular basis. Therefore it is a "half 'n half" mess that doesn't work right. Coil just burned up yesterday; I knew it was going to do it having become familiar with the symptoms: skipping, loss of power, hard to start, weak spark until it quits entirely.

Body had been repaired but that job was well done and the Jeep looks good. I am waiting for parts now. It will be put back to original directly. The rest is repairing 60 year old wiring. Steering is just a tad loose, but not too much play, and the vehicle will cruise at 45-50 without shimmy, so that's a plus. It needs seals and gaskets for a few leaks and the master cylinder replaced.

The other "bubba redneck" mods were, they f-ed up the PVC system by plugging off the pvc valve with pipe plugs, causing oil to be forced out where it ordinarily wouldn't------mostly out thru the filler pipe and onto the engine block. That will be remedied shortly as will the brakes.

My question is WHY? Why do people DO these stupid and unnecessary mods to perfectly good vehicles? There seems to be this thing about FAT tires and non-standard rims. They seem to think the big tires give better traction, but they DON'T! The NDT's actually do a better job because they put more of the jeep's weight on the ground, concentrating it at a single point of contact. I've done it many times with these old jeeps; while the guys in the buggered up Jeeps with their V8 engines and fat tires got STUCK, my little M-series growled its way thru to the shock and amazement of the youngsters! They couldn't understand it.

Same with the mods I found on my jeep. Why? I know its just my own opinion, but these old warriors do the job and do it better in stock form. But NO! These "I think I am a mechanic" types think they know better!!!!! Laughing

FJ
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be so hard on the Bubbas. In the 70's when these jeeps were surplussed out they were not classics destined for pristine restorations. They were worn out military hardware destined for service in another capacity depending on the new owner's needs. Just as thousands of 5 and 10 ton 6x6's were routinely converted to drilling rig trucks and oil field workers when they were only 15 years old.

Why the wide modern tires on these jeeps instead of the NDT's. Simple the NDT and NDCC's were a military compromise for a vehicle meant to be used primarily off road. They were NOT good performers on paved roads when the paved road was slippery. Even the military got wise and found the modern all terrain radial was a better choice in the late 70's. I have been driving these jeeps since 1970 and I find the 9 to 10" all terrain radial the best all around choice for a stock CJ or M series jeep. The only place an NDCC or old Bias ply Nylon truck mud tire stands out is in mud. All other slippery surfaces prove the NDCC or 7.00-16 mud and snow tread inadequate.

Another favorite mod area were the windshields and tops where the new owner wanted ease of use and better visibility. Can't blame them for that.

To me the Bubba mods that are a real PITA are the Half-arse attempts at cave man repairs. The lousy slag laden weld jobs and piled up steel panels are the real tiring Bubba crap.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jimm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankenJeep wrote:
a replacement L-head from a CJ (RMC number),

An RMC engine is a military replacement, not from a CJ. I consider it the next best thing to, and not that far from, having an MC engine in an M38, since there is no way of knowing if a particular MC engine was original to a particular S/N vehicle anyway. But then, I'm probably biased because mine has an RMC engine! Smile
vrod02

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the wide modern tires on these jeeps instead of the NDT's. Simple the NDT and NDCC's were a military compromise for a vehicle meant to be used primarily off road. They were NOT good performers on paved roads when the paved road was slippery

B.S.
I agree with the NdT comment unless there new and sipped.Narrow is key on paved roads when it comes to slippery. Pounds per sq. inch. wide tires are for dry pavement or floatation in the muck. Same with any 4 wheel drive.
mckim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vrod02 wrote:
Quote:
Why the wide modern tires on these jeeps instead of the NDT's. Simple the NDT and NDCC's were a military compromise for a vehicle meant to be used primarily off road. They were NOT good performers on paved roads when the paved road was slippery

B.S.
I agree with the NdT comment unless there new and sipped.Narrow is key on paved roads when it comes to slippery. Pounds per sq. inch. wide tires are for dry pavement or floatation in the muck. Same with any 4 wheel drive.

Drifting off topic for this thread...
So, with modifications you're saying an NDT tire will work fine. But without that modification, I wouldn't want to go out on icy roads with all that slick rubber down the middle of the tires! Is siping even that common? I've only heard about it once or twice, and in the context of improving fairly standard tires. Seems like all that slick section of an NDT/NDCC tire would only be marginally improved.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks will do well for their knowledge to review the concepts in tire design.

The modern all terrain radials have more rubber per square inch engaged with the road surface and still maintain excellant water shedding capability through well thought out funneling of the water to the outer edge of the tread.

The NDT design was a WWII attempt at adapting the bias ply hard rubber stock tire to fill the compromising bill the Army needed them for.

The NDCC design simply quieted the tire down on the paved road and provided less of a sharp edge to avoid the tire entrapping itself on grooves or ruts in the road.

Siping does help the portion of the NDT/NDCC tread that contacts the road surface shed some water but not nearly as well as a properly designed tread and still on a tire that still does not put anywhere near the amount of tread in contact with the road surface as the modern designs due. This leaves the siped tire as still a compromise and not the best choice for high speed driving on wet hard surfaces.

The military dropped this compromising bias ply tire in exchange for modern composition, modern radial design, tires capable of higher SAFE speeds on hard surfaces.

So I say again the NDCC is correct and belongs on a show jeep built after WWII that is not driven at high speeds on hard surfaces wet or dry.

The modern treads are the best and safest choice for daily drivers.

53a1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only good thing that has come from bubba is the application of several layers of various color paint that protected the underlying metal all these years.

From bottom to top, Red primer, Army green, USMC green, USMC flat green, white primer, yellow paint, then black on top of that in areas some places and some undercoating also applied to various parts on top of that.

That combined with a 20 year outside desert home ultimately saved my tub. I praise and curse bubba.
DJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on the G503!! Interesting

"Ode To Bubba"

Bubba is Important

Just remember Bubba in your Prayers. ...Bubba (Earl or Fred... he goes by many names) stands just behind the guy who stored his old jeep in a nice dry spot in some far flung shed, ready for some aspiring restorer to come along and fall in love and bring the "old girl" back to original......On the other hand, you have those who left the "old girl" out in the rain, snow, dust and mud, and she slowly rusted away so no one could restore it.....Then you have Bubba, a giant of a man, he kept the jeep going all those years with bits of wire, angle iron, do-hickeys, and "add on's", modifications, slap happy welds, and the good Lord only knows what else. BUT!!....what he did was save it for the adventurous restorer to remove all those things....so next time you pick up an old wreck Bubba has played with, be thankful. it could have been far worse....Raise a glass of frothy stuff to Bubba, the unsung hero of the jeep....no matter how much we loath his handiwork...without him, half of us wouldn't have a jeep today. '

So "Thank You Bubba"...you saved a jeep for me.
evanso1975

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Found this on the G503!! Interesting

"Ode To Bubba"

Bubba is Important

Just remember Bubba in your Prayers. ...Bubba (Earl or Fred... he goes by many names) stands just behind the guy who stored his old jeep in a nice dry spot in some far flung shed, ready for some aspiring restorer to come along and fall in love and bring the "old girl" back to original......On the other hand, you have those who left the "old girl" out in the rain, snow, dust and mud, and she slowly rusted away so no one could restore it.....Then you have Bubba, a giant of a man, he kept the jeep going all those years with bits of wire, angle iron, do-hickeys, and "add on's", modifications, slap happy welds, and the good Lord only knows what else. BUT!!....what he did was save it for the adventurous restorer to remove all those things....so next time you pick up an old wreck Bubba has played with, be thankful. it could have been far worse....Raise a glass of frothy stuff to Bubba, the unsung hero of the jeep....no matter how much we loath his handiwork...without him, half of us wouldn't have a jeep today. '

So "Thank You Bubba"...you saved a jeep for me.

Totally agree with this sentiment. We all curse Bubba for his engineering skills (or lack thereof!), but had it not been for Bubba my M38 would probably have been scrapped a long time ago.

And on the subject of G503's, he epitomises the WW2 "make do" culture! Thanks Bubba. A discerning jeep owner would've kept the jeep pristine, and the price would be out of the range of my pocket! In your misguided way, you've brought the enjoyment Shocked of owning a military Willys jeep to so many of us.

Besides, without Bubba we'd have no one to moan about. Mr. Green

Owen.

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
RICKG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Not a true bubba mod Reply with quote

My wife said "that's kinda Bubba-ish" aint it?? I haven't fab'd my
holddowns yet but gotta run it around the farm ya know??
Disclaimer: No willys were injured in the making of this foto.

Come-on you guys, tell me you never did somthing like this in
a pinch. Keep haystring in the toolbox right next to the duct tape.
evanso1975

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great improvisation! But you should've used garden twine; not as strong, but it comes in OD!

P.S. It's not Bubba-ish; Bubba would've put screws through the base of the battery. Mr. Green

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubba would have used a whole roll of duct-tape to hold everything together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: