Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Wiring mess...stuff missing?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiring mess...stuff missing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linx310

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Wiring mess...stuff missing? Reply with quote

Well I spent most of the day trying to figure out what is going on with my wiring.

My first issue is what are the two items circled in red called in relation to the military manuals.

The switch that says battery on/off looks kinda of like the ignition switch pictured in the manuals but its in the wrong place.

The toggle switch I don’t have a clue what it is for since the wiring doesn’t look stock.

All I know is I have to have both on to get it to start.

Here is a picture of the wiring with the dash plate removed.

Noticed the red wires coming out of the toggle switch.

The top red wire connects to the wiring loom circled in green. The numbers labeling this wire have been removed so I have no idea what it goes to.

The bottom red wire connects to the loom circled in blue. This loom is tapped together with the connector that connects to “R” in the gauge wiring diagram below.

Now the reason I am trying to figure what is going on I noticed on my gauges that connection “T” was not connected to any thing. From what I understand it is supposed to go to wire 27. But I could not find a wire 27 because I think it was cut at some point.

Also I can’t seem to find the dash ground wire. I think it has been removed. In the picture below is this what it looks like? I borrowed this picture form Remi’s album.

Can any of you guys supply some pictures of what your wiring looks like so I can compare. Its hard to try and use a wiring diagram when stuff has been altered.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That battery cutoff is often added when they start having long term discharge issues. They are not needed unless something is wrong somewhere else.

Looks like someone didn't want to pay for a new ignition switch so they kust chopped wires and splice a toggle in. As I have noted in your photo that toggle connects the power from the voltage regulator (#11) with the ignition coil (#12). The previous owner has installed a volt meter which does not use wires #8 & 9 from the shunt in the regulator and I'll bet the 1? and 2? wires are #8 & 9. Volt meters were usually installed when a switch to the transistorized voltage regulator occurred.

Get one of these and you can easily put her back the way she belongs.

But if you want to power up the dash gages then just connect an extra wire from the top temrinal on the toggle to the cluster's #27 wire.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
linx310

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that helps alot.

What about the dash ground? Is it a wire that runs under the dash and bolts onto the tub?
53a1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lucky. At least the dash was not cut or drilled so you can put things back without much trouble. That cut off swtch under the dash is suspect. Maybe there is a drain on the battery somewhere?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That grouns wire is an add on as well. There never was one from Willys. Those green lines I drew in my original instrument cluster photo are my personally suggested add on ground wires to insure all four electric gages have their cases very well grounded.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: