Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Good Condition Data Plates.........Restore or Preserve?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Condition Data Plates.........Restore or Preserve?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w30bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Good Condition Data Plates.........Restore or Preserve? Reply with quote

I had to remove the dash data plates in my A1 because the previous owner had installed them on the mounting plate with the plate upside down. After I took them all off yesterday I took a good look at them.........and they're in pretty good shape. I can post a pic later, but except for some small areas of the black background missing on all of them (the shift pattern indicator has about half of the background missing).......they look good. Nice patina (meaning not polished to within an inch of their lives) and not bent, with the black background faded to a dark brown. I can't match the faded patina of the background no matter how hard I try, but I'm thinking about leaving them alone. Restored would look nice, but that patina is priceless.

So what I'm wondering is what's the current thought on these plates.....restore or preserve? I know it's my jeep and I can do what I please, but I'm relatively new to the MV hobby and want to know what's the thinking on this.

thanks,
bob
Kendall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the original patina on two of my jeeps. On my 1951 M38 plates the background color was mostly gone, so I block polished the plates with 600(?) grit paper, painted the plates black and then went back with the sanding block to take off the upper layer of black. They look good, but not perfect.
Kendall
1942 Dodge WC-55
1951 M100 trailer
1942 Ben Hur trailer
w30bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kendall,

Thanks for the reply. I've read about how to restore the data plates and seen the pics on the web. They seem to look very good when done, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'd actually use to remove the black paint from the raised lettering. Some of the lettering is so small and on some plates there's lots of blank space between the writing.....not to mention that everything that's raised is just barely raised......so I think I'd really screw it up unless I could find something abrasive that's tiny and can be used like a pen. I think if I could find a sanding block that was perfectly flat it would work in the areas of the plates with a high density of lettering, but not sure about the open spaces. Really think I'm going to leave the plates as is.

regards,
bob
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same dilemma with M100 data plates. The originals have zero paint on them and are barely readable at all except for the serial number and inspector stamps. They're also distorted (warped) so they don't sit flat against the trailer body. I'm by no means knowing how to restore brass data plates but seriously doubt these could be saved to any form of being serviceable.

As I'm into a "motor pool restoration" I figure if a data plate needed replacement while the trailer was in service, the Soldier would order a new one. So after a lot of searching (NOS brass plates for early Dunbar Kapple M100's are pricey and even harder to come by) I found a gentleman in Poland with a great reputation for faithful reproduction, including stamping the marks, for a reasonable price. I haven't received them yet so can't report on this, but my plan is to rivet them on, wrap the originals in VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibiting) paper, and stick them in the lid of the cable box for posterity. The next guy can tackle restoring them.

Hoping I don't get my chops busted for talking M100's outside the proper forum?....... Shocked

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck and cover Ron!
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Ron, I only bust deserving chops that make wrong choices! Shocked

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: