Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Carburetors or 1952 M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carburetors or 1952 M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m38a1chuck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Carburetors or 1952 M38A1 Reply with quote

Hello!
Well I've been gone a long time. Finally getting back to my project. I've had the engine overhauled on my 1952 M38A1 Jeep. Told the mechanic to keep it looking original and all is good. I got my oil-wash and the military headlight switch. Except the carburetor is having problems. It's sluggish and hard to start. Before the overhaul it smoked like crazy and had couple piston with compression problem and deep scores in the piston walls and smoke but I had some great European carburetor that let it start so well and it ran great. Unfortunately that carburetor was lost.

So, can anyone help me remember that carburetor manufacturer ? Or any new recommendations for a really great carburetor for this jeep? I'll keep the original one around but would really like it to run like a top for now.

thanks,

Chuck
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are four carbs that fit that intake manifold. The original is an excellent carb and will make the engine run perfect if the carb is maintained in perfect condition. Obviously yours is not in perfect condition. Unless of course your problem is fuel pump related, but you didn't say if you have checked fuel pump delivery pressure and flow rate. You didn't say what fuel pump you were using with your YS950S carb. The original dual Fuel/Vac pump requires a 9/16" thick spacer at the block to limit fuel pressure.

I have been wrench bending professionally since 1964. The one thing I can never fathom the logic in the rebuilding of an engine while totally ignoring the needs of the engine's primary accessories, Carb, distributor, oil pump, fuel pump and starter! To put $2000 or more dollars into an engine rebuild then slap old tired accessories back on her and then wonder why the old girl runs like crap.

I would suggest you send your Carter YS950S to the Carb Doctor or to John at Midwest Military for an overhaul. Put her on move on to enjoying your fresh engine.
http://www.carburetordoctor.com/

If you'd rather rebuild her yourself be sure to buy a BRAND NEW KIT and not a leftover from the 80's NOS off the shelf kit.
Currently you can buy NEW kits with rubber diaphragms that tolerate today's fuel from:
John at Midwest Military
The Carb Doctor
Ron Fitzpatrick G503 Parts
AJP (Army Jeep Parts)

Enough for my rant.

You said:
Quote:
I had some great European carburetor that let it start so well and it ran great. Unfortunately that carburetor was lost.

I'll assume you had an aftermarket Solex M34PBIC. Yes it's roots were in Europe but present day these are manufactured in India. They are adequate but do have quirks beside the alternations in linkage needed. They do not do well off road since they were designed for level highway use and they are sensitive to delivery fuel pressure which translate into adding a fuel pressure regulator to your jeep.

The third carb is off a Ford Falcon 6 cyl. car and is a Holley 1904. These were popular for the F134 when installed in the older flat fender (low hood) jeeps since they are much shorter then the YS and YF series.

Which brings us to 4th carb which is a jeep carb off the civvy F134's and it is a YF series specifically the 938S.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: