Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Starting Problem with OHV jeep engine
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting Problem with OHV jeep engine
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting photos. A late model 129 tooth flywheel ring gear, a very early 646228 casting F134 and a large frame starter bell housing on a early 4 bolt rear block flange.
Did that starter have any ID plates or numbers on it? The 12 volt Delco for the F134 was 1107746.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bulsi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Delco starter numbers Reply with quote

Wes,
I could not find any numbers on the starter. Now that it has been rebuilt, it is all clean and painted and without any evidence of numbers. I will report back in about an hour to let you know it it now turns the engine over. Based on your comments, it is beginning to sound like I have a real Frankenstien project on my hands. Based on the starter/alternator combination, I was under the impression that engine was a 66 to 71 F134. If I get the serial numbers located just above the oil pan on the right side, can you determine the exact year of the engine?

Thanks,

Wally
bulsi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: You have the engine number Reply with quote

Wes,
I didn't realize that the engine photo provides the engine number. Thanks for the info. My question now is why would a person install a later alternator/starter combination on an older engine. Maybe it was part of the later bell housing which was connected to a frozen engine or one that has a rod through the block.

Wally
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 646228 number on the lower right side is the casting number. The block was used on civilian Willys with F134's from 1950 through about 52. It also showed up on early M38A1's circa 52/early53. The key to what chassis the engine was originally installed in is the serial number on the top front of the block on the small flat just above the water pump. It is hard to see with the thermostat housing in the way. Clean it with a scotch brite pad and use a flashlight pointed from one side while you read from the other side.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bulsi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: It Turns over Reply with quote

Once I installed the newly rebuilt starter and hooked up the battery, the engine turns over and is waiting to start. Phase one is complete. Now onto Phase two. Thanks for everones help to get the project this far. As far as the serial number goes, I have looked for the number above the water pump and only found a blank spot pn the block. I will take a pic and add it to the bulsi photo album so that you can see where I am looking verses where you are thinking that I should be looking. I will keep looking in this area as you have described.

Wally
bulsi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Pictures Posted Reply with quote

Wes,
I looked for the serial numbers on the "flat" area that you indicated with your techical drawing. The spot is clean. See pics in gallery for details. Is there any other place to look for these numbers on the F134?

Wally
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the only place. The numbers were stamped very lightly and with real thin lines. You are only about halfway through the crud on the serial pad in your photos . You have to get all the rust and grit off to see the very faint numbers.

bulsi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: engine block serial numbers Reply with quote

Wes,
After a long delay, I am finally getting back to the Jeep. I have cleaned the area that you suggested above the water pump and it is clean with no numbers of any kind. I used a fihe wire brush on a Dremel tool and a scotchbrite pad as suggested. It is clean and I am confident that I didn't accidentally remove the numbers. Any other suggestions on how to determine when and where this engine originated?

Wally
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Wally but you are at the end of your rope on ID'ing the engine's original installation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: