Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Rewire Headlights??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rewire Headlights??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erik_hansen3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Rewire Headlights?? Reply with quote

Hey, I need to rewire my headlights and blinkers for my 1952 M38, how should I go about doing it? Where is a cheap place to get replacement wires? Is there a diagram available online that shows how it is done. I have very limited know how but am trying to learn! Thanks
Dano

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Erik,
Check the fifth title down "m38-electrical" in the download section of this site. There's a diagram. Hope this helps.
Danny
1946 Bantam Trailer
1983 CJ7
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M series MV's all use the same wiring number system. Each wire has a metal tag at the end with that circuit's number on it. If you have the required technical manual (TM 9-8012) then all the diagrams you need are right in the book. If you don't have this manual then just go to our "Downloads " page and download a copy and print the pages you need. There will not be any "Blinkers" (turn signal) info in there. You will have to tell us which turn signal system was added to your M38. Your choices are early military service kit, late military service kit or civilian add-on as well as letting us know what lamp changes were made front and rear to accomadate the turn signal functions.

John at Midwest Military can sell you the crimp tool, the terminals parts and the wire. If you are stock M38 then you will need Douglas metal terminal parts.

This is a generic M series wiring diagram. I like it because it has all the necessary detail and numbering all on one diagram. This differs basically from the M38 with the seperate trailer harness from the main light switch (this was an early M38 only thing) and the air pressure sender.

This is the actual late M38 wiring diagram from the TM 9-8012

This M38 late wiring diagram has a little better detail

This is a deatiled layout of the main light switch which I edited for more detail.

This is a detailed trailer light plug.

These two illustrations are of the Douglas metal connector terminal parts.

These are the stock rear light assemblies. For normal road use most folks use two of the left lamps so they have a red lens on both sides.

This is the early M series turn signal kit.

This is the late M series transistorzed turn signal kit.

Civilian turn signal switch.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
kenperkins

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your not doing a factory resto, you can reuse your shells, grommets and connectors, you can reuse the terminals in a pinch,by cuting off the wires and drilling out the end and soldering them to the wire. you will need 3 lengths of 14 ga wire 48.5 ",( wire #s 17,18, and 20)
2 lengths at 23" ( wire # 17 and 18 ) and one ground wire at 14"(# 91).
keep and reuse the ground ends as in my experance the proper onesare hard to find.
I've rebuilt a bout a dozen of this harness and it is an easy one to get your feet wet.
kenperkins

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct that last post, 2@14" for # 91 grounds and 3@ 23" for # 17,81 20 left side Embarassed
erik_hansen3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will let you know when I get going ! Very much appreciated!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: