Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Battery Drain Tubes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Drain Tubes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeeps4Brains

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Battery Drain Tubes Reply with quote

Not being able to find any NOS battery drain tubes for my M38A1 I made some up. Now what I made is not exact to the original. But looking from the engine compartment I can’t see any difference.

On a limited basis I can make some others if anyone was interested. I can also show a picture of what I made.
m38olddog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sure be interested in seeing what you've come up with! When I redid the battery trays and bottom cover I just left the holes open, but I'd like to be able to add the drains. Please post a pic or two. Very Happy

Dave
M38A1 2/55, MD81433, U.S. ARMY 2A3514
M100 Dunbar Kapple, ?/51, #15122
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a photo, I am sure people would be interested.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of originals:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

Do you have a photo of an original M38 drain tube? Those are M38A1 right?

Thanks
Jeeps4Brains

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to take some pictures this weekend.

Alan
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, my photo is M38A1 which is what was asked about by first poster. I think I may have one photo someplace of the single tiny stub sticking out of the firewall drain hole for the M38 cowl box. I'll look for it.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jeeps4Brains

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Here are some photos of what I made up. It was not complicated but took some time to get it configured right.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done. It will do the job. The only real problem is the original 90 degree bend that can't be duplicated in field very well.

keats

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had great luck with forming bends in rubber tubes by using springs that fit tightly inside the tube. The springs help form and hold the tube shape similar to radiator hoses. I used this technique on my M38's drain tube that called for a double bend to fit the holes in the firewall and cowl battery box. The tube I used was a 90 degree formed tube I found at a swap meet. I also used this pre-formed tube on my M170. I believe it was sold as a M38A1 drain tube.
I kept the small cowl/firewall piece (double bend) that was originally on the M38 but will need to dig deep to find it, but I'll try.
Jeeps4Brains

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said it was not difficult to do. I bought the ‘funny’ black irrigation pipe at the hardware store and looked around the store for something to help me bend it. Where the screen doors were I found a long spring for closing the door that fit right inside the plastic pipe. The other bits are a 90 degree street elbow, a 45 degree street elbow and a smaller 3/8 tee. The copper 90 and 45 fit right over the output of the battery tray.

Once I had all that, I used a heat gun to get the plastic pipe hot enough to expand and force it over the copper bits. The plastic 90 degree bend I had to try a number of times to get the bend right. Even with the spring inside if it is too hot or too cold it won’t bend right. Once the bend is set you can pull the spring out and use it again.

I tried doing the whole thing in plastic but when I would expand the diameter of the plastic pipe it would mess up the 90 degree bend. If I did the bend second the heat would mess up the expansion.

I am happy with how mine looks and thought I would share the idea. I have enough bits to make a few more.

Last edited by Jeeps4Brains on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
keats

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Battery Drain Tubes M38 probably original Reply with quote

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/P1040355.JPG

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/P1040356.JPG

Battery Drain Tubes - M38 = probably original but I didn't install it in 1952 at the factory or see someone else install it, either then or at any other time. It was on my M38 as I found it and was painted red as was the jeep by the Civil Defense so I think it has a good chance as being an original piece as any.

I am missing the last inch or so of the tip as it was brittle and crumbled as I tried to remove it from the battery tray. You can picture the tip making an upwards 90 degree bend to connect to the bottom of the battery tray in the pictures. What is shown is the part that goes through the cowl and battery box walls. I'm going back 20+ years so I may be a little foggy but my memory has served me well overall through the years.
TomM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Tube ID? Reply with quote

What was the ID of the tube you used on the M38. Is it a thin wall hardware store type of tubing?

Tom
keats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 5/8 ID with walls being fairly thin and flexible but similar to the above mentioned m38 tube. I used the same tube on the M170. They seem to dry out and become brittle. I haven't seen them at shows lately either but haven't been to the big ones recently. I have no experience with the store type tubing. The tubing I used had a pre-formed 90 degree bend in it already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: