Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - oil and oil pressure question.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil and oil pressure question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: oil and oil pressure question. Reply with quote

I was told to use "non-detergent 30 grade oil ONLY" in my 52 m38 (w/L4 134), otherwise it would be bad for my engine. My jeep sat for at least 20-25 years before bring it home, I changed all the fluids, rebuilt starter, blah, blah, blah. Anyway to make long story short, I put in some cheap 10w-30 oil. I got the motor running, runs great by the way, now I'm want to change the oil again, clean out the oil pan/screen.

Questions:
Can I use standard 10w-30? (since I've already done so)
Oil pressure gauge reads almost 60 psi steady @ 30mph, is this too high?

Drops to 55psi when standing.
Some manuals say 35psi other manuals said 50psi @ 30mph

This jeep has been civilian-ized (engine may have been rebuilt in the 1960's)
and it was changed to 12 volt system.

Thanks to all who respond.
1946 Bantam Trailer
1983 CJ7
maeserik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your elecrical driven pressure gauge exact ?
My electical gauge indicates 50 psi (full scale)during driving, and about 30 on warm idle, so far this is exact. When i start the cold engine, after a few seconds the needle jumps to 50 psi.
I would not worry, i use mineral 10W40 already 4 years, with no problems.
Once a year i replace the oil. You have oilpressure, even on idle and with a warm engine, so nothing to worry about. Just enjoy your jeep !

just my opinion.
Erik
1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-30, or straight 30 is good. Cleaning out the pan and screen after a long storage is important. Oil settles out over time. Looks great on the stick----Ha! Pull the plug on the pan and stick your finger in and check the pan bottom Shocked Shocked . Mine is coming off for a good bath. I've heard of running automatic transmissin fluid( full ) to flush and clean, but if you don't first send all the oil through a filter, I wouldn't do it. Jeeps send only some, not all oil through their filter. Cleaning out and a new gasket is cheap insurance. John PS- if you clean it out, make sure you prime the oil pump and gallery before starting. You can do this with a finger pump oil can and squirting it into the gallery where the oil pressure tube leaves the block.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First for the oil pressure reading accuracy must be ascertained on day one. If you have a direct reading type gage then check that one with another direct reading type gage and compare. If you have an electric sender send up then get a direct reading type gage and plumb it in to compare readings. The M series senders available today surplus seem to vary quite a bit in accuracy.

Oil names can be confusing.

[b]STRAIGHT[u] mineral oil is exactly that, no additives. It was used a lot until the 50's. It is still used by most folks on a freshly overhauled engine to help the break-in happen sooner by leaving a little extra friction for the rings to run in.

Don't confuse [b]STRAIGHT[u] mineral oil with [b]STRAIGHT[u] weight oils. The terms do not mean the same thing. The first deals with the composition of the oil and the second with the viscosity of the oil. The term [b]STRAIGHT[u] combined with the term weight is only to help differentiate between the [b]STRAIGHT[u] weight 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 oils and the variable weight (or multi-weight) oils like 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 and so on. As you will see [b]STRAIGHT[u] weight oil is available in mineral or semi-synthetic.

Semi-synthetic oils are the most common today and they are of course better since their lubrication abilities are greater, They come in the [b]STRAIGHT[u] weights 10, 20, 30, 40 and so on and in the multi-weights 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 and so on. They are usually not good to use when breaking in a fresh engine but are a definate improvement over the mineral oil for longevity of your engine.

Full synthetic oils (Man made compounds) are expensive and in my opinion not worth their price for older cars and trucks.

Why do most of the old manuals list only the common straight weight oils? Well the older engines up through the 60's had greater bearing clearances and the thinning of the oil as it warmed up caused a loss of lubrication effectiveness when too light a weight oil was used. Multi-weights have many advantages but the disadvantage I like to point out is they are too thin when cold and this causes a little more wear of your old large clearance engine on start-up and initial warm up. With old flat head engines I like to use the correct weight for the season and I try to stay with single weights (straight weights) here in Wisconsin 30 summer and 20 winter.

What should operating oil pressure be? 30 to 35 PSI at cruise and 10 at idle hot. Too much pressure is not always a good thing. It can burst hoses and cause seals to fail. 55 to 60 should be the absolute max when cold. 50 should be the max when warm.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: