Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Death wobble solved! But my brakes went out :(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death wobble solved! But my brakes went out :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linx310

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Death wobble solved! But my brakes went out :( Reply with quote

Well my new tires did the trick. I got rid of the 40 year old dry rotted and mismatched (they were both NDT and NDCC!) set my M38A1 had and replaced them with a brand new set of Denmans.

I took the rims and the tires down to a tire shop and had them professional mounted and high speed balanced by a computer.

Me and my brother went for a 45 minute ride and it cruises at 45-50 mph smoothly with no wandering or death wobble. And because i replaced almost every steering component it steers like new.

The trip went fine until I pulled into a gas station a mile from home to get some thing to drink. When I went back out to drive home my brake pedal was as hard as a rock.

I managed to get it home using the emergency brake.

I tried to get the master cylinder top cover off but bubba has stripped it (i will post pics latter) so I could not get it open this time. Last time I was able to get it open by hand, not this time.

To get brake power back temporarily I had my brother push down on the brake pedal and I cracked open a bleeder screw to release some of the fluid. There didn't appear to be any air in the lines. I also inspected all the brake lines and didn't see any leaks.

Since the top fill cover is stripped I am going to have to remove the master cylinder to get it off. Rather then reinstall the old one which has a bunch of crap in it i am sure, I ordered a new one from Midwest military.

When it arrives i am going to put compressed air into all the brake lines and flush the fluid out completely and install the new master cylinder.
maeserik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is your MC. There is a little valve in the MC wich let a little pressure in the brakelines after releasing the brake pedal. In our club there was a member wich had the same problem. He unscruwed the brakelightswitch a little to let the pressure go away and he could brake again for some period. With a new MC things would be solved, my opinion. Replace the MC with a new one, it is a safety part !
Clean the lines and replace the parts wich looks in a suspected state.
(rubber flexible parts, wheelcylinders)

Erik
1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
linx310

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea thats what i decided to do. I just ordered a completely new master cylinder rather then to keep fiddling with it.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overlook aged rubber hoses. Their inner lining can collapse and act like a restriction and not let fluid pass. In some cases they will still let fluid pass but then trap it towards the brake causing the brake to drag. The industry standard life on rubber parts is 10 to 12 years.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
linx310

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't overlook aged rubber hoses. Their inner lining can collapse and act like a restriction and not let fluid pass. In some cases they will still let fluid pass but then trap it towards the brake causing the brake to drag. The industry standard life on rubber parts is 10 to 12 years.

Can I buy these rubber hoses at a automotive store or do I need to special order them?
Dano

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good army jeep parts supplier will have them.
Danny
1946 Bantam Trailer
1983 CJ7
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good CJ3B/CJ5 jeep parts source will have them, like NAPA and etc. Take your old hoses to the store with you.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
TomM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: lines Reply with quote

Be prepared to also replace a couple of the steel lines since they can rust into the hose ends and will be destroyed when you remove them. The toughest lines to make are the S lines on the steering knuckles. Mail order vendors sell them.

While you are at it, its easy enough to pull the wheels and inspect or replace the wheel cylinders too. These are all safety items that have to work together.

Tom
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two tips on loosening the steel line fittings.

1-Lots of penetrent like PB blaster and let it soak for a day.

2-Use only quality flare nut wrenches that prevent rounding the nuts off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: