Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Rear Cross-member
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Cross-member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiocrates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Rear Cross-member Reply with quote

Looks like I'm going to have to do something about the back-end of my frame. My rear cross-member and pintle hook support have been cut all to pieces to make way for an in-frame gas tank. I've evicted the gas tank and put the exhaust back where its supposed to be but now the "customized" rear bumper is interfering with the tail piece of the exhaust pipe.....so....I'm removing the customized rear bumper and going back with something at least similiar to the original cross-member. Could someone with an m38a-1 and a little spare time please provide the dimensions in inches indicated by the green ovals on this drawing? Thanks.

'?? - M38A-1
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little help with the layout

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Midwest Military's rear cross member replacement kit and Big Flats Rivet for chassis rivets.
idiocrates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.......I wuz tryin to put some money back for the kid's christmas presents......or....in other words......the old repair budget has come into contact with the current global economic situation. I know this is going to send a remoresful chill down some member's spines......but inasmuch as I have a son who still thinks its cool to do welding for dear old dad.....I thought it might be cost effective to just fabricate a new cross-member from some scrap 4" channel I have laying around. Granted, it won't be historically correct with all the proper inserts and pintle hook plate and attached to the frame with rivets....but it will function to support the rear of the tub and the exhaust sytem.....and that's really all I can afford right now. I've seen MMW's rear cross-member and I like it but I have no tools for rivetting and I'm not even sure rivetting is legal in Texas since not even tool rental places have rivetting tools. Anyway....the jury is still out.....maybe we'll hit a nice rainy spell and this part of the project will get delayed......or I'll win the lottery......right......phhhht. Thanks for the suggestion though.....you never know.

'?? - M38A-1
53a1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my bumper with a new one. You are welcome to the parts I flame cut off if it can help your project move ahead. PM me and we can exchange info. I'm looking only for shipping cost if you are interested.

idiocrates

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate the offer but I think at this time I'm just going to back off the rear cross-member and think about it some more. The hardest task of all so far has been trying to remember that this repair isn't on a deadline and I'm free to take all the time I want (or at least until the boss wants her garage back). Without having really studied the connection.....is there a way to bolt the cross-member onto the frame....or is it all about the thickness of the bolt head verses a flat head rivet? I have to do something but I don't want it to be as damaging to the original frame as the bumper bubba welded on.....and if I'm going to retain the pintle hook plate I really should put something back to replace the diagonal supports......plus since the tub is supported by two mounting points located at the forward ends of the diagonal supports I really need to so something to recreate these points for this reason too. Yeah........its time to think about this some more and come up with a good plan....even if its just to remove the old crossmember and bumper and force myself into a must do situation. Wait a minute.......that's how this whole thing got started. Boss was right....guess I'll never learn.

'?? - M38A-1
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a good plan would be to shop for a used rough A1 frame and chop the last 3 feet off. Every now and then a frame comes up for sale as whole or parts.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ocwd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: M38A1 Frame Reply with quote

Jim,

I know where there is an M38A1 frame about an hour away from me. I was going to go down there anyway. I could prabably get it for cheap and cut the rear cross member off for you. Let me know. You'd have to pay for cutting disks and shipping only. I will be buying a load of parts from this person so the frame will probably be included in the sale.

Dave
53a1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Why don't you let me have the frame you found and I'll give him the back of my frame. I'm going to build another up in the future and the frame needs a lot of work but the back is in good condition. I hate to see good parts get cut up. I think I'm a couple hours from you.

Thanks.
53a1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

What happened to your back bumper in the picture? Looks like someone needs to call John at Midwest. His bumpers are super nice.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not my frame. It's a friends and it's a motor pool class resto with the bent ends just heated and bent straight with no attempt to hide the damage.

The M38 I am doing right now has the left tip bent 90 degrees and I will heat it and bend it back and weld the tears shut.

53a1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate. I have a frame where the PO pulled something heavy and bent the 1/4 plate that the hitch mounts to. I'm going to try to straighten it but I would rather find another frame because there are numerous other problems.

This is another project for down the road so it's not urgent.
ocwd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Frame Reply with quote

There may be two frames. I'll check and get back to you. I have no interest in these frames or making any money off them. I'd rather see them cut up for spare parts than to go to the scrap yard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: